Chp 18: Bugging the minds

3rd POV

After they failed to retrieve the killstone, they head back to the trollmarket but not with empty handed now that Claire claims the staff belong to Angor Rot. Despite the difficulties of using its power, Toby was jealous of Claire taking more credits and just randomly makes excuses.

In the end, Toby had to admit it because he missed how it was only just him, Jim, and YN like the three musketeers. He earned forgiveness and has a new weapon. A flaming hammer. Right now, we see Claire is putting her books back in her locker before her friends talks with her about Jim.

Mary: Jim Lake asked you to the dance and you didn't tell us!?

Darcy: Spill it, C-bomb, before Mare and I go ka-boom.

Claire: There's not much to really tell, except I sorta asked him.

Mary: (Gasp.)

Darcy: Good, girl!

Mary: Excuse me, Darci. Do not celebrate. Educate. That's not the way you do things, Claire. There are rules to being on top of the social food chain. What sort of world do you think we live in?

Claire: If only you knew.

Claire follows her friends and notice Jim by his lockers and they both wave before Jim accidentally hits Toby with the locker door and notice Toby is exhausted.

Jim: What happened to you?

YN: Hammer training.

YN place his books in the locker before Toby groans before speaking.

Toby: I can't feel my arms.

YN: What'd you expect? A simple balloon sword training? That's how training is, Toby.

Toby: Yeah, but it looked easy for you guys.

YN: No it wasn't. We focus on building our discipline through training.

Jim: Plus you are the one that wanted the war hammer. Heck you're even lucky to have the hammer being lighter instead of heavier. It'll take months for you to even lift it.

Toby: Hey, hey. Next time a magic troll assassin pinches your sword, you'll be happy ol' Warhammer and Shadowdancer have your back.

Jim: "Shadowdancer"? Let me guess.
You haven't run that by Claire. Well, Tobes, rest up. We can at least feel safe in school knowing Angor Rot won't attack us in broad daylight.

YN: Now that he doesn't possess the staff anymore.

Toby: Oh, my gosh, I think I can feel a little baby muscle growing.

YN: Well while we're here, I heard Blinky is trying to figure out anything about Angor rot.

Jim: Was there anything he found?