41. The Mind (Part 1)

Earth

2027

Seeing Jace had been like a nuclear explosion detonating in Rory's heart, one that ripped through the shock of her memories returning and melted down the walls of her heart, eviscerating all in its path

Seeing Jace had been like a nuclear explosion detonating in Rory's heart, one that ripped through the shock of her memories returning and melted down the walls of her heart, eviscerating all in its path. A hollowed, numb drum remained in her chest.

"What just happened?" Theo's stare shifted from the door Jace had walked through back to Rory. From the corner of her eye, she saw his shoulders straighten and understanding draw heavy lines of sadness across his face. "Oh."

Slowly, Rory lifted her face to Theo, desperate to say something, but unable to form any words.

"That's him," Theo said.

Burning tears blurred her view of him. All she could think of was the look on Jace's face when Theo had put his arm around her.

General Price rushed into the hallway and skidded to a stop. "We need to talk."

Ignoring Price, she kept her attention on her husband. "Theo..."

Theo sniffed and nodded. "You don't have to say anything right now."

Her knees felt shaky and she wanted to just fall against her best friend, only she could still feel Jace's embrace. Her mind could not wrap around seeing him. So much about him was different and so much was still the same. It was clear to Rory that he'd undergone more enhancements. But the greatest change she saw was the weary strength of someone who had endured a great deal of suffering for a long time. The kind that changed a person.

And yet, he still had those eyes. He was still her Jace.

"Rory." General Price heaved a sigh. "I'm sorry, but it has to be now. Please, let's keep this simple."

Theo took her arm and asked her, "Do you want us to go?"

"Just Rory." The general looked uncomfortable as he spoke, something Rory had learned meant he didn't like what he was doing. "We need to talk to her alone."

"No." Rory pulled away, standing alone in the middle of the hallway, looking back at the place where she'd just seen Jace for the first time in a decade. "I have given you people so much. You've come to just expect it from me. I'm a person. You realize that? An actual person who has human limitations. Back off for a second."

"There's things you may not be ready to say in front of Theo." Price walked closer with his voice low. "I know you and I know that you care about what Vehru plans to do to us. This is a war. Help us. Please."

She grabbed Theo's hand and stared down the general. It was not necessary to speak about their new reality. They all recognized the changed dynamic. No longer was Rory on Earth alone with no memories and at the mercy of the United States government, or any government for that matter. Commander Vehru had plans for her and those would not be easy to thwart. If Rory did not want to talk to General Price, it was unlikely he could force her.