47. Necessary Risks

Earth

2027

Jace had retrieved the solid state drive loaded with the Replica and then sprinted the entire way to where his squad should be prepared for him, primarily sticking to rooftops to keep out of the warzone in the streets

Jace had retrieved the solid state drive loaded with the Replica and then sprinted the entire way to where his squad should be prepared for him, primarily sticking to rooftops to keep out of the warzone in the streets. When he arrived at the four story building they'd targeted, the squad was all there. Seeing all of them together loosened his shoulders some. Tonight wasn't the most dangerous mission, but it was hard telling what could go wrong in a battle like this. Jace was relieved to see Alix, Lyon, and Nikka together without any apparent injuries.

A division had already taken the perimeter around the building they'd started infiltrating. While the north side needed more reinforcements, the south where Jace met with his people was well-controlled by Lumiean soldiers. Toggling his map, he could see the live view of how much of the base they'd conquered and the areas where they still battled for ground. The Americans were rapidly losing much of the base. Several temporary medical bays had been erected where incapacitated American soldiers were taken and monitored. In the coming days, they would release them, but Vehru wanted this base because she would use it as an icon to say her Witness had been held captive here. So they would remain in control of Fort Freedom at all costs.

"Is everything set up?" Jace asked. Extra troops filled the area to keep enemy lines from encroaching upon the building. All that remained was to clear the inside out. The resistance other squads had met inside testified to the American's determination to protect their assets and secrets housed within. It was only a matter of time before it fell into Vehru hands, however.

"The other squads are clearing the way now," Alix said. "We're cleared to enter."

"You saw her, didn't you?" Nikka asked. Although Jace couldn't see Nikka's expression behind her helmet, the tone of her voice easily painted a picture of her pinched brows in his mind.

Apparently Nikka didn't need to see his face either to know how he was feeling. They all knew each other too well for him to get away with hiding anymore. Inconvenient and infuriating, even if he wouldn't dream of changing it. It hurt him to think that Aeryn had been without her squad as well as her family when Jace knew just what a terrible loss that was. He checked his equipment to distract himself and nodded without saying anything.

"How did she seem?" Nikka spoke faster than normal, clearly worried. "Do you think she'll be safe?"

"Well, she shot me a few times." The slight ache in his chest when he twisted made him think about seeing her raising that gun at him. He hadn't been able to move a muscle when he first spotted her, just like in the hallway. "I'd say she's in the mood to get herself in trouble."

"She shot you?"

"Wanted to slow me down."

Nikka snorted. "Oh, Aeryn. At least we can see her on here." She tapped her cuff. "So far, she's good. Look, she's even sitting still right now."