44. The Return

Earth

2027

The fog was clear

The fog was clear. Rory's slowly returning memories and the ones that felt out of reach were all back.

Vehru no longer wore that cocky smile she'd so often sported since she came. The wallpaper thin expression she'd disguised herself with was gone. Instead, Rory looked into the eyes of a ruthless and saddened killer.

"I didn't make a mistake." A film of tears shone over Vehru's eyes. "You and Jace are perfect. Just like I was perfect for this job. Without you two I could conquer Earth, but with you, I can change the planet."

"You're a psychopath and everything you say is deranged. You want me to be your Witness? Give me my hand mods and get out of my way. I want the good ones. Not what I pieced together here on Earth."

"Who will you fight for?"

Rory's nostrils flared as she walked forward and stopped right before Vehru. Despite the fear fluttering in her chest, she met the woman's eyes, and forced her to see what she'd done to Rory. "My family. My world."

"Which one?"

"Listen." Rory closed her eyes and forced herself to take in the sounds her mind had tried to block out. The shrieking of war. "You hear that and you dare to ask me such a thing."

A hand grabbed her hair and ripped a cry from her chest. Rory opened her eyes wide to Vehru looking down on her.

"Do not mistake my suffering for weakness." Vehru lowered her voice to a rumbling whisper. "No matter how much I pity you, I can keep going." Pain scratched at her scalp as Vehru's hold tightened. "Play your part, Witness. Don't waste your time fighting me. There's better use of your energy."

"Where's Jace?" The question shocked her, peeling from her lips without warning. When it came down to it, that was all she wanted to know. Where she could find the ones she loved. They needed each other if they had any hope of stopping this mad woman.

"It's this simplicity that makes a witness so perfect." Vehru loosened her hold, but did not yet release Rory. "One person can become a whole world to you. Do your job. Give Earth some much needed guidance."

Vehru let her go and Rory stumbled back, gripping her head. "Maybe I could do that if you weren't spreading lies about me. Or if you'd let me remember anything before now."

"You couldn't be trusted with your memories before now. You're a rebellious child. You would have given them too much information." Vehru stepped back. "You should warn the Americans about what we're capable of. The world needs to know that tonight is only a taste."

"My mods, Vehru."

She pulled a cylindrical device from her pocket. "You can have this, but you'll have to find your squad for the rest. They're here. Jace is in charge of a very important operation tonight. I suggest you get Theo and your puppies out before he's done." Vehru glowered. "Run along and find them." Then, she vanished entirely.