Chapter 23: Bouncing Back

Park Avenue, always busy, looks empty when the last of the trees and flowers lose their leaves. There's an undeniable chill in the air as I walk into Grand Central, my jacket brushing against others as we push through the swinging wooden doors that merge on a downward slope spilling into the terminal.

I barely squeeze in to the Q train. It's been a week since I saw Melanie in the park, a week since I made a mess with my friends, and a week since Sydney and I have spoken face to face.

Things have been tense with Preston, which is why I was surprised last night when he told me to meet in Brooklyn.

I find him sitting on a bench in Prospect Park, two cups of coffee steaming in his hands. He hands me one as I sit down.

I stare at it a long time before we both start.

"So listen—"

"Let's—"

I clear my throat. "You go first."

"No, you," he grunts, and I get the distinct feeling that Felicity is behind this get-together, down to the coffee.

"You've never bought me coffee before," I say, eyeing him suspiciously.

"First time for everything," he says.

"Fel?"

"Yup."

"Knew it," I chuckle. I somber quickly, the tension in the air squeezing my lungs from all sides. I need it to go away. "I am so sorry about what happened. I was completely out of control and it was all kinds of wrong."

"You don't say," he scoffs. "But yeah, you were kind of a dick."

"Not kind of," I correct. "I was the biggest dickhead in New York City that night. And you guys don't deserve it one bit. You're my best friends, and of course I want you to be happy and be together. I just didn't exactly show it the best way." I slurp the hot coffee to cover up my cheeks warming up.

Preston gives me a strange look. "All that is true, but... we also saw the news about Melanie's engagement, so it kind of made sense. You two have always been..." he throws a hand up in the air, stirring it like he's mixing something.

"A hot mess to the tenth power?" I supply.

"Fel told me to be nice so I can't say that," he shrugs. "She also said everything you did, but a lot nicer. That you're just going to miss me and you're overreacting because of it. Which, understandable. I'm like the greatest roommate ever." He puffs his chest for effect.

"Does Felicity know you leave socks everywhere?" I prod.

"Of course," he answers quickly.

"Does she know you don't pick them up for days, even weeks sometimes?"

"Of course not," he huffs. "I'm brave, not suicidal."

"So are we cool?" I ask, hopeful.

"We're always cool, man," he punches my shoulder and rises, taking a sip of his coffee. "Let's roll. We don't wanna be late."

I stand up. "Late for what?"

"You'll see," he says slyly.

We walk a few blocks until we round a familiar corner. "This is the food bank," I point out.

"Ten points to Ravenclaw," says Preston.

A small group of people crowd in the front at one of the windows facing the sidewalk. I wonder what all the commotion is about.

As we get closer, I recognize some of my friends. Clement is here, so is Sydney—awkward—and some of my classmates and the other students I met during the marketing competition.