iii - everlasting

chapter three,     everlasting

──────
1964
Volterra, Italy
──────

           "YOU BROKE HIM."

           It was an understatement. In front of them kneeled some sort of resemblance of a man. Trembling, his whole body was arched painfully, trembling breaths leaving his mouth as if oxygen was a poison for him. Right hand pressed against his chest, itched to rip out his own heart and offer it to her. Desperately wanting to make her stay. No tears dared to fall. Not even one. She despised tears. 

           "He's marvellous," the same voice breathed out, full of astonishment. 

           "If I cannot bring terror into this world, why do I need him?" Her voice was even, melodic. Even when she expressed her utter disapproval. It made his heart clench at the sound of her voice. His mind was aching from the memories – where had he gone wrong? What did he do that made her decide to leave him?

           "Sister," another voice called out to her. It was silent, almost like a whisper, echoing through the void. "He's devoted to you as you are to him."

           It was torture. He came here to ask for death and he didn't wish to be taunted by her voice that was cocooning him in a soft melody, reminding him of the way his heart bounced when she was beside him. Anything for her. Anything

           "You can bring terror, dear," the first one assured her. "But you have become sloppy. Must your revenge continue after centuries now?"

           The echoing of her heels made Eros shiver. It seemed like she was in all this space, all around him, in him. His body tingled with sadness, with excruciating pain that was splitting into his ribcage, occupying his lungs, making him wish that his next breath was the last. 

           Amara grasped a handful of his hair, raising his head to face the three vampires, sitting in front of them. "If you would've seen him the way he kills... The way he greets death... The way his darling eyes don't change from the taste of blood. If I cannot bring terror into this world, why do I need him?" She repeated, releasing his hair, but he kept facing the vampires.

           "Oh, his eyes!" The vampire sitting in the middle stood up, walking to him, making him stand up. As the broken resemblance of a man stood up, hovering over the vampire, taunting him with his empty eyes. "They are almost as dark as ours, but they are—so brown around the iris. They don't change from the blood," the vampire whispered, astonished while looking at Eros. "They don't change from the blood!" He smiled widely, looking at him as if he was the greatest acknowledgement in a long time.

           "We have laws, sister," the vampire on his left reminded. "It's time you joined us."

           "Marcus," Amara huffed out, closing her eyes as she walked closer to her brother. "I don't want to be locked up in here while the whole world is out there."