i - welcome to forks

chapter one,     welcome to forks

           THE DEEP FORESTS held many secrets inside of them. The branches, full of heavy leaves, covered all the life that was residing there. Any person in their right mind would avoid them as soon as it started to get dark. The danger was always waiting for the right moment to strike and only when you were struck once did you start to realize that. 

           The girl gently shivered as the view from her balcony was facing the dark forest. She wasn't afraid to go there, but she knew better not to go. It felt weird to be in this silence. She was so used to the city sounds – passing cars, the chatter of people, planes and just life overall. Here, life was weaved by silence. It calmed her.

           The air was fresher here in Forks, moist and clear, not polluted. The chill of it dropped on her bare skin, soothing it, making her hair stand up one by one. Hugging herself, she closed her eyes and gave into the silence, to a new beginning. She wanted to start anew desperately. What had happened in the big cities would plague her until the end of the day.

           It is a new beginning, and things will be better now. 

           "Noelle, ma chérie?" The girl heard her mother's voice from downstairs and she quickly left the balcony and closed the door. "Come down, please."

           It was never good when her mother called her to come. She has heard this phrase exactly six times in her life, every time before she started a different school. It was the seventh time which will be full of lectures with a hint of a few threatening undertones. Embracing herself for a conversation that had happened too many times, she went downstairs.

           Both her parents were in the kitchen, preparing tea as they were spending this day unpacking. They only got here early in the morning and there was a lot to do. But this house was cozy. It was, well, a house – a huge upgrade from a flat. They even had a space in the back to turn into a lovely backyard and maybe into a little garden. 

           "How's your room?" Her mother asked, filling the mugs with hot water as her father was standing beside her, looking at his daughter. 

           "I like the view," Noelle admitted. She had been to this house once before when her parents were considering buying it and she helped make the decision between three houses that were for sale. "I think I know why I am down here."

           "For tea, évidemment." Sophie shrugged innocently, but the look on her father's face told her the truth. He couldn't hide anything from her. It was always written on his face. 

            "We're just worried," he started, and the girl sighed, closing her eyes for a moment. 

            Noelle crossed her arms, leaning to the wall beside her, looking at her parents: "I know. We have been through it all six times already. Nothing has changed, I still remember what I need to do."