iv - i try

chapter four,     i try

chapter four, i try

           "HEY, BELLA?" Noelle called her from the hallway, watching the way the dark brown-haired girl turned to her with curious eyes.

           "Yeah?" She pushed one earbud out of her ear, walking closer to Noelle. "You heading out?"

           Noelle nodded, walking alongside Bella out of school. "I was just wondering if you have a partner for English class. If you don't, maybe we could be partners?"

           "Oh," Bella raised her eyebrows. "It's—perfect, actually. I was about to search for someone and well... You saved me from a lot of trouble."

           Something heavy seemed to shift off Noelle's shoulders. She wasn't the one to initiate a conversation, but she was determined to make this work. "We, new girls, should stick together." She gently joked.

           Bella exhaled, chuckling. "I was really glad to hear that I won't be the only new girl. It's—exhausting."

           "Yeah, all those stares," Noelle zipped her jacket as they walked outside. The fresh, cold weather reached them both, biting their noses with icy weather. It just rained and now there was thin ice on the roads. 

           "Do you have in mind which book you want to present?" Bella asked, uneasily gulping as she stuffed her hands into the pockets of her jacket.

           "I saw you reading Pride and Prejudice the other day. Maybe we could combine it with other Jane Austen books? Do a comparison of love portrayal?"

           Walking closer to her truck, Bella hummed: "Yeah... That's a great idea, actually! Do you want a lift home?" 

           Noelle shook her head gently. "No, I don't want to bother you. I really like to walk." She admitted and opened her back, taking out a piece of paper and a book as they stood beside Bella's orange truck. "I'll give you my number and my home number just in case." Taking out a pen, she scribbled the numbers on the pieces of paper and gave it to Bella. 

           Bella took it, looking at it to see if she could read the numbers, nodding. "I'll call you... Are you sure you don't want a lift? The weather is dreadful – I already slipped twice today."

           The taller girl chuckled, "I even enjoy this kind of weather."

           Bella offered her a side glance, looking at her suspiciously: "You know you're probably the only one who likes this kind of weather?"

           "Is it weird that I've heard this said twice ever since I moved here?" 

           "I saw you talking with Eros in biology. He seems nice," Bella changed the topic.