Chapter 53

Corbin and I drove to the pack house a little while later in a dingy beat up crappy type of car Joel had given us to drive for a little while while he took care of my truck and fixed it up, and Corbin was driving.

Both of us were silent and didn't break the tense silence between the two of us while we did so until Corbin cleared his throat and tapped his thumb against the steering wheel.

"So... are we going to talk about this..?" Corbin asked and looked at me before he looked at the way we were going, the trees thinning out as we were almost out of the woods and toward my cabin.

"No," I said and moved my legs closer to my chest while I kept my head on the window, closing my eyes just a tad. "Not until tomorrow morning when both of us have rested and fought."

Corbin grunted and pressed his lips into a thin line while he slowly nodded. He didn't say another word and continued to tap his finger against the steering wheel.

I bit back a tired sigh and moved a hand across my face. "Have you said anything to the king about this?" I asked, and he shook his head no.

"I did not tell him anything yet," he said while he shook his head. "I do not know if anyone else has said anything to him, but I know that I didn't say anything to him." He cleared his throat and shifted on his feet. "Have you heard from him?" he asked and looked at me from the corner of his eye.

I sighed and opened my eyes before I pulled my phone out of my pocket and looked to see if I had any messages from him, and thankfully, I did not. "No," I said and shook my head before I cleared my throat and shifted in my seat again. "Hopefully, I will not hear from him until after I get some sleep."

"Hmph." Corbin nodded and pressed his lips into a thin line. "Is Clint at the cabin?" he asked, raising an eyebrow in question while he glanced at me from the corner of his eye before he looked at me. "I know that he heard the gunshots."

"I am sure that he is," I said with a small sigh of annoyance while I rubbed my face and shook my head, pursing my lips into a thin line. "Has any of your crew been hurt?" I asked and looked at him, vaguely aware of the king saying that there were some Elitists around, watching over everything and trying to keep us safe.

"Not... bad," Corbin said and tucked his head closer to his chest and cleared his throat. "There have been a few of them that had been knocked out by the people that were being controlled by that Vesper, but they are not hurt hurt."

I breathed a small sigh of relief and slowly nodded, grateful."So no one has been shot?"

"No," Corbin said and shook his head. "They are wondering if they can tell the king what happened. I told them that I would like to talk to you about this first."

"Huh." I was surprised that they didn't say anything to the king yet, knowing full well that they had orders that they had to follow and that was a direct one. "Why?"

"Because it deals with you and the Vesper we are facing, and I know that you wanted to talk to them first to get some information out of the ones that are controlled," Corbin said and shrugged while he grimaced. "Mind you, I am one of the higher members of that group here. They have to follow my orders."

I rolled my eyes and scowled. "They do not when it has to deal with my safety, Corbin," I said and gave him a pointed look. "The king even said that if I am in danger, then they must tell him so that he can send others my way."

"Well, they asked me, and I said no, hoping that you had everything under control, and you did," Corbin said, "even though you kept almost running into trees and scaring me." He flashed me a teasing wink, and I rolled my eyes and scowled, pressing my lips into a thin line.