|Chapter 1.2| Frivolous Man

Hadassah gasped as she emerged from the swim, dragging her body out of the pool. She looked up, her breath catching as she realized she was in a more open space than before. The cavern had opened up into a large, natural chamber, and through a large hole above, she could see the sky, streaked with the colors of the setting sun.

She collapsed onto the rocky ground, her body exhausted from the swim and the adrenaline of the escape. The cool air of the open space was a welcome relief, and she took deep, calming breaths, trying to steady herself.

Ahqi surfaced beside her, his eyes filled with concern. "Are you okay?" he asked, pulling himself out of the water with ease, his iridescent tail shimmering in the light.

Hadassah nodded weakly, managing a small smile. "I'm fine, just tired. Thank you for helping me."

Ahqi's face lit up with relief. "Good! This place is a lot safer. You can rest here for a while."

As Hadassah lay back, she took in the beauty of the cavern. The walls were adorned with trees and plants, creating a hidden haven. There was only one way in—through the water or through the hole above.

Hadassah collected her thoughts. What now? She couldn't go back to where she had stayed since the hunters had found her. She needed to find a new home out of the way of other beastmen.

Ahqi watched her stare up with conflicted eyes, wondering what was on her mind. "What are you thinking about?" he asked, leaning on his elbow against the floor, his tail slapping the water surface casually.

"I don't have a home to go to, so I'm wondering where I should make my new home," she admitted.

His tail swung in the air, catching the light. "Well, you can stay here until you have somewhere to go," he said happily. His happy-go-lucky attitude made her feel odd, like she was overthinking her situation.

"I guess I could, but I don't really have any way to hunt or forage," she said, her voice tinged with worry.

"Why not just climb up?" he said with a shrug. Hadassah frowned. He still thought she was a beastman. At this point, was it worth lying? How would she explain why she couldn't live here?

Taking a deep breath, she decided to come clean. "Ahqi, I'm not a beastman. I'm a human. We can't climb as easily or breathe underwater like you can."

Ahqi's eyes widened in surprise, his tail momentarily stilling. "A human? Really? Wow, I've never met a human before! That's so cool!" His excitement was genuine, but he quickly sobered, realizing the implications. "Oh... that explains why you couldn't stay underwater for long."

"Yes," she said softly. It was already good he didn't plan to kill her. "I can't climb up there or stay hidden underwater. I need to find a place where I can survive, on land."

Ahqi nodded thoughtfully. "That sucks, so what can humans do? Can you fly?"

She shook her head, smiling slightly at his innocence. He thought briefly before suggesting something else. "At least you can swim, right?"

"I can swim!" she said quickly, a bit embarrassed. "I'm just not very good at it."

Ahqi sighed in relief. "That's good. I was worried for a second." He didn't mind her being human, but he drew the line at not knowing how to swim? She didn't know if she should laugh or what. "Then, do you eat? Can you eat seaweed?"

Hadassah chuckled. "Yes, I can, but seaweed isn't really a human's main food. We eat things like fruits, vegetables, meat, and bread."

Ahqi's eyes widened. "Wow, humans eat a lot of different things! I guess seaweed might not be the best for you then. But don't worry, I'll help you find the right food."