69.

Flashback...New Year's Day 2017

"I know you ain't tryna sneak out like you did the first time we made love."

I smiled and turned around, "You were sleeping and I didn't wanna wake you."

He got out the bed and hugged me tight. He laid his head in the crook of my neck and didn't wanna let me go.

"I'm gonna miss you and my baby." He said with sadness in his voice.

"I'll miss you too." We kissed repeatedly.

He got on his knees, kissing my belly.

"Daddy loves you and I'll see you soon."

"Derek, please don't make this any harder than it has to be."

He sighed as he stood up.

"There's something that I need to do, but I need you to come with me."

"And what is that?"

"Get dressed and come on."

✨✨✨

As we silently rode in the car, I was curious as to where he was taking me. "Derek, I have a flight to catch, where are we going?"

"You trust me?" He asked me.

As Derek's words hung in the air, a mix of nerves and curiosity hit me. What was he getting at? Memories of our rocky history flashed through my mind—the doubts we've battled, the trust we've struggled to build. Yet, there was still love, and I needed to understand where he was coming from.

"I... I'm not sure," I stammered, my voice shaky. "Can you just tell me what's going on?"

Derek locked eyes with me, his gaze sincere yet vulnerable. "Alex, I know we've been through a lot, and I can't ignore what lies ahead. But I want to make sure you and our baby are secure, no matter what. I'm marrying you today."

His words hit home, a glimmer of doubt sparked inside me. "Married?! Derek we are NOT ready for that." Maybe this was his way of showing he's committed to us, despite everything. I thought to myself.

"Please, Alex. We need to do this, I'm in love with you and if something ever happened to me, you'd need to make some tough decisions. I love my grandma, but she doesn't make the best decisions."

"But why the secrecy? Why not talk to me about this sooner?" I asked, concern creeping in.

Derek moved closer, gently taking my hand. "I wanted it to be a surprise, a way to show my love and dedication without putting pressure on you."

Conflicting feelings swirled within—doubt, fear, but also a flicker of hope. I loved Derek, deep down, and I wanted to believe in a future with him.

Taking a deep breath, I nodded, my anxiety easing. "Okay, Derek. I'll take a chance with you. But promise me we'll always be open and honest."

Relief washed over Derek's face as he smiled warmly. "Thank you, Alex. I promise, from now on, complete honesty between us."

We kept riding, hand in hand, until we pulled up to a house that felt strangely familiar yet cloaked in mystery. The door creaked open, revealing Derek's cousin Dorian, dressed in a minister's robe.

"Derek, I'm scared," I confessed, my voice betraying a hint of vulnerability. "I just... I need us to be sure," I murmured, searching his eyes for certainty.