Prologue

On this rainy day in Maharashtra, where darkness cloaks everything from sight, the pervasive scent of rain fills the air as I arrive for a secret meeting to settle a dispute with Mumbai's underworld mafia, marveling at the beauty of this place.

It's midnight, and I'm on my way from Mumbai to Pune, seeking refuge from the constant threat to my life. Numerous adversaries lurk in Mumbai, eager for an opportunity to end my life. Pune serves as my temporary sanctuary on the way to Delhi, offering a brief respite from danger. I've arrived alone, without guards, relying solely on a bulletproof G Wagon and the company of a trusted family driver.

Suddenly, a bullet crashed through my window. I ordered my driver to accelerate as we entered Pune, but the car that fired the shot continued to pursue us. I knew exactly who was behind the attempt on my life: Manish Joshi. Despite the danger, I remained unafraid of losing my life; with no one waiting for me and nothing to lose, fear was a distant emotion. What puzzled me most was how they had pinpointed my location. It had to be someone I once trusted.

The car started losing balance. "I guess they shot the tire; I can't control the car. It's so dark and raining, I can barely see," the driver said, his voice filled with fear and panic. Our car crashed into a tree, the airbags deploying on impact. Miraculously unharmed, I quickly retrieved a blade hidden in my tie and made my escape from the wreckage.

I started running, desperate to escape because I needed to uncover who had betrayed me. As I dashed forward, a glimmer of hope flickered-I thought I had gotten away. Then suddenly, a sharp pain pierced my left shoulder from behind. I turned and saw it was my driver. The physical pain was nothing compared to the agony in my heart from this betrayal.

I collapsed, my vision blurring as I fought to stay conscious. The driver approached, squatting down near me, his face close to mine. "I'm sorry, sahab," he whispered, tears streaming down his face. "Your elder brother asked me to do this. He emotionally blackmailed me, threatening to kill me in front of my family. I know you always treated me like a younger brother, but I had no choice. If I refused, who would take care of my family, my small children?"

His words cut deeper than any wound. "I have someone waiting for me, but you are alone. No one cares if you return safely or not; no one is praying for your safety. But I have a family to protect. So, I chose to kill you. I'm sorry, sahab. If you can, please forgive me. Goodbye forever."

With that, he shoved me off the road into a ditch. I rolled down, half-conscious, until darkness fully claimed me.