Forty Five

A/N: Last chapter :,) (For real this time)

✩₊˚.⋆☾⋆⁺₊✧

Indi — 1.5 months later

"I'm sorry," Linh says as I hold up the crochet sweater. "I didn't have the money to get something, so I made something instead."

"Are you serious right now? I love it!" The sweater is white with a black star on the front. She also crocheted care bears for all of our friends to have.

My birthday was on Wednesday, but I'm opening their presents now as we hangout in Layla's bedroom. Layla got me a bunch of cute jewelry, Raina got me those cool gloves that are designated for digital drawing, and Kiara made me a gift bag with candy, snacks, makeup, and the like.

I love all of their gifts.

I throw on the sweater Linh got for me before giving her a hug. "Thank you, guys. I love you all."

They all respond. Everyone except for Layla, who's eyes are burning a hole into her guitar.

"You good?" Kiara asks, nudging her.

Layla snaps out of it, a smile instantly gracing her lips. "I'm good. All good. Let's go see if that cake is done."

With that, we all leave her bedroom, going down the large flight of stairs and into the kitchen, where the aroma of strawberry cake fills the air.

Layla grabs a toothpick before opening the oven and checking the cake. After straightening up, she turns to us. "It needs some more time," she says sheepishly. "I'm sorry, I thought—"

Her sentence comes to an abrupt end when her phone starts ringing. She pulls it out, a confused look on her face as she looks at the screen. "Sorry again, I have to take this."

She leans against a counter as she lifts her phone to her ear. We all watch, then jump when the person on the other line yells so loud that we can hear it.

Layla startles too and I notice her chest starts heaving. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry," she whispers. "Okay. Okay. Yeah, I— I get it, Grandpa. Okay. Mhm. Yeah."

I exchange a confused look with Linh, who's frowning.

When Layla hangs up, I notice the way her smile is shaky. "I'm so sorry," she says weakly.

"Are you okay?" Kiara asks, stepping forward.

"Uh, yeah!" Layla forces out. "Well, actually, no. My grandpa says you guys have to go."

"Oh," I say.

"I'm so sorry," Layla says, a genuine sorrow in her eyes.

"Don't worry about it," I quickly reassure her. "We can hang out again some other time."

"Yeah, but we're celebrating your birthday and..." She looks down at the floor, red splotches forming on her face like she's about to cry.

Kiara steps forward, throwing her arms around Layla. "It's okay, we're not mad at you."

"Really?"

"Really," I say, wrapping my arms around both of them. "You have to listen to your grandpa, he's your legal guardian. We get it."

Linh and Raina join the group hug.

I love my friends. So so much. Even when we inevitably part ways—which is extremely depressing to think about—I'll always love them.

When we pull away, I get out my phone and text Ezra.

Me: wanna pick me up?

BOYFRIEND!!!: the horses are galloping at precarious speeds, perhaps i may arrive soon