41. WHISPERS OF HEARTBREAK

I went to war with myself for you

Riddhiya

"Your daughter is beautiful, Mr. Rajput," one of my father's acquaintances' wife said, looking at me.

I smiled at the compliment and my father beamed with happiness.

The grand hall, where the charity gala was being held, was a marvel of opulence. The high, vaulted ceilings were adorned with intricate frescoes, crystal chandeliers cast a warm glow, and the marble floors gleamed under the soft light.

Everything about the place screamed royalty and expense.

The sound of laughter pulled me back into the conversation, my father always reveled in the praises his daughter received. 'Look what a beauty,' 'how graceful,' 'so elegant-contrary to her mother, she has a regal grace like her father.'

The compliments were always positive about me, but it hurt when they taunted my mother for her origins.

She came from a middle-class family and was studying architecture when she fell in love with my father. It was only after that she was introduced to his side of the family.

I had heard numerous stories about how my father's relatives opposed their relationship, but despite the obstacles, their love triumphed in the end. The perfect love story, the perfect couple existed right in front of me all my life.

The kind of relationship where there is respect, admiration, support, and unconditional love.

That's the kind of love I have always been surrounded by. How can I wish for anything else?

"Excuse us," my father said politely, extricating himself from the conversation in which I was a passive spectator.

"Riddhi, is everything okay? You've been looking lost for a while now," he asked, concerned. He always knows when something is wrong with me.

So, I have to try extra hard to act normal every time I feel sad, but I can't tell him the reason.

Because how can I say that your future son-in-law is the one making me feel lost sometimes?

They do know Arhaan doesn't talk to me much, many a times they were concerned about this marriage, everyone was. Despite the family promise, I was never forced, I willingly agreed to this marriage.

In my eyes, everything will go back to normal once we are married.

It has too

"No, Dad, it's just a small headache," I explained.

"Headache? You should go home then, Riddhi. I'll call the doctor now. Before that, let me find your mother-" he started, sounding concerned and worried.

"No! I mean, it's not that bad. I think a breath of fresh air will do," I said, pointing at the open balcony on the floor above.

I tried to handle the situation because he wouldn't think twice about sending me home if I was sick.

"Okay, but if you feel worse, you must inform me immediately," he insisted.