𝐀 𝐂 𝐓 𝐓 𝐇 𝐑 𝐄 𝐄

2.3 | BAREFOOT ON THE HIGHWAY

JUNGKOOK

"Get in." she frowns at me when I motion towards the car, "I'll take you home." I explain further and she obliges. "So, what happened then?" she huffs into her clasped hands, rubbing them together expecting some warmth.

I reach out and turn the heater on before igniting the car engine. "She left me." my words come out harsh, making me clear my throat. "For him?" she leans in with curiosity as I frown at her and she backs away. "I mean he is pretty good looking." she mutters to herself, pushing strands of hair out of her face.

"But you are not bad looking either." she continues to dissect the past happening, "Did you say I am good looking?" I ask, a sly smirk passing my lips as I try to keep my eyes on the road, difficult as hell considering the person sitting next to me.

"No, I said you are not bad looking." she cleared her throat, obviously flustered. "Yeah that's one way to say it." I tease further, slowing down the car at the signal. I turn around to look at her, "Why did you leave your husband all by himself?" I study how her expressions twist at the mention of a certain man.

"I should be happy." She says firmly as if she really wants to believe it. "Should you be?" I notice her eyes looking away in the distance, staring blankly. "Hey, can you hear me?" I am dangerously close to her face yet she doesn't seem to realize, she seems to be disassociating. Her expressions freeze and the breathing becomes concerningly shallow.

"Anna." a heavy feeling bubbles in my chest as I shake her arm but she continues to stare at a distance. The traffic light goes green and I have no chance but to keep driving. I soon pull the car over on the side of an empty highway. I quickly get out of my seat and go over to the other side of the car swinging her door open. "You need to come to your senses." I quickly remove her heels and pull her out of the car.

Her body slumps against mine as I hold her up close trying to make her walk on the side of the road. The moment her bare feet is pushed against the rough charcoal chips laid out the road, her body jolts in response. "Ouch!" she let's out a small yelp and I feel like I can breathe again. "What's going on?" she looks around, slightly dazed. "Why am I walking barefoot on the highway?" It doesn't take a genius to figure that she isn't aware of her condition.

"You just wanted to get some fresh air." I wasn't going to be the one telling her about it. "I did?" she asks confused as I take her back to the car. "Why don't I remember?" I hear her mutter to herself as I get into my seat and pull up on the road again. "What were we talking about?" she frowns trying to recall. "You were telling me you'd rather be with me than your husband." I joke teasingly. "Yeah you wish." she scoffs.

After a minute of silence she speaks again, "Wait really?" she turns to me, her eyes widening in surprise.

I try to hold back a smile.

ANNA

As soon as reach the manor, I see Mrs. Jung, the head of my personal staff, waiting at the front door to receive me. I walk upto her, my bodyguard following closely behind. "How was the party ma'am?" it takes me a minute to answer that question, I truly don't know how it was. "It was fine." I still try to keep a friendly smile as I greet her. "Is Jaehyun back yet?" I ask her and notice how she tenses up, looking everywhere but at me.

"Mrs. Jung?" I get her attention again, "Uh... Sir will not be... returning tonight. If you need something you can tell me, I'll contact Mr. Steve." she replies hesitantly. "It's alright." I wave her off and walk to the elevator. As always Jungkook surpasses me and holds the door open as I enter the small area and he follows.

"Why the frowning? You'll get wrinkles pretty damn quick at this point." if it weren't for Jungkook I wouldn't realize I was frowning. "Is it because your husband isn't back yet?" he speculates as we get off the elevator. "Why would I? He is a CEO, he has work to do." I defend my fiancé. "Are you really so naive or are you pretending to be?" his words are laced with evident frustration. I stop at the door to my room and turn around to face him.

"What is that supposed to mean?" this time I just let the frowns cover my forehead. "He's obviously getting laid." Jungkook says in all his honesty, with a nonchalant shrug. "Maybe he is." I say looking away, trying to hide my slightly reddening face. "It doesn't bother you? That's your husband." I notice his hands turn into fists at his side as he stands up close to me

"It's part of the contract, he's allowed to do whatever he wants." even when those words leave my mouth I feel my skin itch under where the engagement ring sits. "So are you then." he whispers heavily, inches apart from me. Even with my back pushed against the door, I don't attempt to open it and enter my room. "You too are allowed to do whatever you want then." his eyes seem to darken.

"Doesn't mean I want to." with each word I feel feel more drawn to him, he away his body cages mine, the way my senses are overloaded with the scent of musk and cigarettes. I softly lay a trembling hand on his chest and he shakes his head in refusal. "Don't do that. Let's not start something we both know won't end well." he warns. I take my hands of him and put them behind my back as he does the same with his.

We stand there like that, close enough but not touching. Breathing in eachothers presence.

━━ 상관없는데 왜 그런 것 같아? ━━━
« I don't care but why does it seem like I do? »

———