Promise of a secret

Spencer finishes her pancakes, licking the last bit of syrup from her fork, and smiles up at her Grandpa John. "Thanks, Pa. That was the best breakfast ever!"

John chuckles, ruffling her hair. "Glad you liked it, sweetheart."

Spencer jumps up from the table, her mind already on the barn. "I'm gonna go change and head down to see Lucy!" she announces, dashing towards the stairs.

John's smile falters for a moment. "Hey, why don't you stay here at the lodge today? We could play a game or - "

But Spencer is too quick. "Later, Pa!" she calls over her shoulder, her excitement propelling her up the stairs.

John sighs as he watches her go with a concerned look on his face. 

Upstairs, Spencer changes into her riding clothes in record time. She sprints back down the stairs, almost colliding with her mom, who catches her just in time.

"Whoa there, where are you going so fast?" Beth asks, scooping Spencer up into her arms and holding her gently.

Spencer squirms, eager to be on her way. "Just going to hang out with Lucy!"

Beth's eyes widen briefly but then settle. She knew this moment was inevitable.

"Can you wait just one minute, and Mama will go with you? Okay?"

Spencer nods, a little impatiently. "Okay, I'll go grab some carrots and apples for her."

"Okay, sweet P. I'll only be a minute."

Beth kisses Spencer's forehead.

As Spencer heads into the kitchen, Beth pulls out her phone and quickly texts Rip: *Spencer and I are coming to the barn. We need to tell her about Lucy.*

Rip's reply is immediate: *Understood. I'll be waiting.*

Beth pockets her phone, takes a deep breath, and walks into the kitchen. Spencer is busy filling a small bag with treats for Lucy, her face alight with anticipation.

"Ready baby?" Beth asks, her voice steady despite the lump in her throat.

Spencer nods enthusiastically. "Yep! Let's go, Mama!"

Beth takes Spencer's hand, and together they head out of the house. The walk to the barn feels longer than usual, the weight of the upcoming conversation heavy on Beth's shoulders. She squeezes Spencer's hand a little tighter, drawing strength from her daughter's innocent excitement.

When they reach the barn, Rip is waiting outside, his expression serious. He gives Beth a reassuring nod before turning to Spencer with a smile.

"Hey, Cub." His voice gentle.

Spencer beams. "Hey daddy! I brought Lucy some treats!"

Beth kneels down to Spencer's level, taking both of her hands in hers. "Sweet P, Daddy and I need to talk to you about something important."

Spencer's smile falters slightly, sensing the seriousness in her mother's tone.

"What is it, Mama?"

Beth glances at Rip, who steps closer, placing a comforting hand on Spencer's shoulder.

"Lucy isn't in the barn, sweetheart," Rip says softly. "She got very sick a while ago, and... she's not with us anymore."

Spencer's eyes widen in confusion.

"What do you mean? Where did she go?"

Beth's heart breaks at the look of disbelief on her daughter's face.