Chapter 6: The Abuse

The next morning Vanitas woke up earlier than normal. Xehanort would wake him at crude hours in the morning for training or missions, but today seemed different. No word from his Master or indication that he needed anything. Vanitas prepared himself to enter the kitchen to feed the replica, but his thoughts made him hesitate.

"He knows nothing about Kingdom Hearts." Vanitas muttered. "He is a Replica, after all. Poor thing is probably clueless about a lot."

Vanitas went past his better judgement and as he wandered those long corridors he walked right past the kitchen as his feet decided to take him elsewhere first. Vanitas was aware that every visit to the Replica would result in a series of questions, and Vanitas wanted to avoid this. He was just following orders; feed the replica. He was forced to visit him several times a day which could cause future issues. The Replica had a lot of questions, and if Vanitas continued to visit frequently their conversations could be endless.

Vanitas threw open the doors to the library, yet another room drenched in black. The library had two separate floors both being occupied by those same black rugs from the main hall which slithered up the stairs leading to the second floor. What was uncovered by rug revealed white marble flooring which complimented the black bookshelves themselves. Each shelf was colored white in the corners for an added flair, along with a red strip right across the top and bottom of the shelves. A large glass chandelier resided at the top of the tall room, making Vanitas fake a gag. What a useless item.

Vanitas ventured towards a few rows back of the shelving to find what he sought. Xehanort kept several hundred history books here, Vanitas read them all. He scanned through, selecting five different books that explained the history of Kingdom Hearts and the war, hoping it was enough to fill that Replicas head and to leave him alone.

With books in hand and an attitude ready to go, Vanitas traced his steps back to the kitchen for the soup for retrieval. Rather than waste time walking Vanitas created a corridor instead for that quick and easy access, knowing full well he probably had to report to Xehanort soon.

His presence must have surprised the Replica as he exited through the portal Riku jolted upright from his slouched position. Vanitas just stared at him through the helmet, grateful his face was hidden. He could only imagine the look of disgust on his face.

"Here." Vanitas eventually said, tossing the books by the Replicas feet.

Riku didn't take his eyes off him even as he reached to grab a book. Not until he was reading the front did Riku finally avert his gaze, really rather quickly before returning his eyes to the other. "What's this?"

Vanitas knelt down and settled the bowl of soup by the Replicas feet. He wasn't going to toss that at least. "So you don't ask me so many damn questions."

Riku narrowed his eyes, but opened the book and skimmed the first page. Vanitas notice his reaction change to a look of awe, his eyes widening. "The Keyblade Wars..."

"Now you'll have insight on Kingdom Hearts and you'll stop bothering me." Vanitas used a finger to point towards the stack of books beside him. "That should keep you busy for a while."

"What if I wanna talk about it and ask questions?"

"Then suppress that urge and don't."

Vanitas wasn't here to make friends, he was there to follow Xehanorts orders to complete Kingdom Hearts. After all, how did he know if Riku wasn't just trying to befriend him to escape? He couldn't blindly trust the Replica. It wasn't that long since the thing truly thought he was the real Riku, clearly it wasn't that intelligent. Vanitas narrowed his eyes suspiciously at Riku, despite the fact that he wasn't able to see the intense glare.