Another Side Quest

The hole to the bottom of the tree stump was very long. As I descended, gaining speed rapidly, I knew I needed to somehow slow myself down before my guts splattered on the bottom of wherever this hole ended. The darkness around me was oppressive, and the air rushing past my ears roared like a tempest. The wooden walls of the hollow tree blurred into a seamless tunnel, amplifying my sense of helpless descent.

Panic surged through me as I reached my calloused hands outwards and stuck out my legs. The bark scraped painfully against my skin, but I couldn't afford to be gentle. Initially, my arms buckled at first contact with the inside of the tree as the speed was too great to handle with my own strength. My fingertips grazed the rough, moss-covered surface, sending splinters shooting into my skin. I clenched my teeth, fighting against the overwhelming momentum.

Then I tried it again, with more urgency and determination. This time, I spread my limbs wider, using my entire body to increase friction. My hands and feet stuck, the rough bark tearing at my clothes and skin, but it was enough. My descent slowed dramatically, and the burning pain in my limbs was a small price to pay for my survival.

The sensation was akin to grabbing onto a rope during freefall; the sudden jolt nearly wrenched my shoulders out of their sockets. My muscles strained and screamed in protest, but I held firm. Inch by inch, I continued to descend, my speed now manageable. The tunnel's darkness seemed endless, but I focused on the rhythm of my breathing and the feel of the bark under my hands.

Finally I landed on the bottom of the hole which was tumultuous with not a flat surface to clearly rest upon. I reached my hands out, touching everything around me to try and get a sense of what was surrounding me, but it was no use. 

" I am f*^#ed, again," I said out loud. As if there was someone watching over me, another screen popped up in front of me. 

You are actually an idiot. 

Huh? Wait, this ... thing, again? 

There is no way you have lost ALL of your memories. 

I sat there in the darkness slightly lit up by the blue screens popping up in front of me. 

No... Are you serious?? No, there is no time for this now. Do you really think that you aren't equipt for a situation this easy to get out of. 

No, nothing came up into my head...

Do you remember the first day you came here? The pain maybe of...

"Ripping my eyes out! Of course," I exclaimed.

 Wow, you are definitely the first person to say that with such enthusiasm. 

The Dragon Eyes. My mana sense. 

The realization hit me like a lightning bolt, electrifying my thoughts and sending a jolt of clarity through my mind. The Dragon Eyes, my mana sense—an ability I possessed from the beginning but had rarely used—had been neglected for too long. The eyes that I had been looking out of had been there hiding their potential, but why had I had no recollection of using this powers before? More importantly, why was my memory missing so many important details? 

Closing my eyes, I drew a deep breath, willing myself to refocus and recenter. The world around me fell away as I turned my attention inward, seeking the dormant power that lay within my core. Slowly, I felt the familiar, yet strange, sensation of mana awakening within me. It was like a slumbering dragon stirring, its presence birthed a tingling sensation that shot through my body filling me with both excitement and fear. The mana surged forth, a warm, radiant energy that spread through my veins, infusing every fiber of my being. It was as if a dam had burst, releasing a torrent of pure, unadulterated power. My heart raced with the intensity of it, and my skin prickled as the mana coursed through me, bringing with it a heightened awareness of the world around me.