chapter thirteen

— CAMILLA —

"Okay guys, you can just go in and buy your snacks while I fill up the tank." Richard says, gesturing us to head inside the gas station.

I hoist my purse over my shoulder whilst Cole holds my hand as we walk inside the empty store, save for the store keeper.

I look up at Cole with adoration and he winks at me, portraying his own care with his flirtation.

The inside of the gas-station is like any other, the tiled floors and the few shelves packed with necessities. There's a clerk watching us with wary eyes but I don't mind.

"What do you want, baby?" Cole asks me and I shrug.

"I think Xavier is already choosing for us," I stare at Xavier hoarding stacks of food into his arms.

Xavier glances back at us and furrows his eyebrows, "No, this is all for me." He glares at me playfully.

I roll my eyes and grab some snacks and water, Cole grabs a pack of cigarettes and a large bottle of vodka.

I stare at him with confusion, "What do we need alcohol for?" I ask.

He scoffs teasingly as if it should be obvious and strokes my hair, "These Corrupts are gonna cause me to get grey hair at twenty-six, I'm gonna need more than nicotine to help me."

My eyebrows raise, "You're twenty-six?!" I ask, surprised.

In the entire time we've known each other, which I must admit wasn't very long, I never thought to ask how old he was—now I know he's seven years older than me.

"Did I not tell you that?" He ponders, as we walk up to the counter to check out our items.

I laugh, "No, you old man."

Cole slaps my ass and cocks an eyebrow, "Watch that mouth of yours." He says.

Xavier drops all his items on the counter, making the clerk glare at him furiously as he eyes all the food he's going to have to scan, his face grows red.

"Hey there, mister," Xavier smiles.

He doesn't smile back and instead asks, "Is that all?" The clerk sneers.

Xavier nods, not responding to the clerk's rudeness.

He starts scanning the items half-assedly, making Cole's patience vanish, I have to tightly grip Cole's hand so he doesn't start stabbing the guy for wasting our time.

"It's fine, Cole, we'll be out of here soon." I assure him and he nods.

Once the guy is done scanning the items, he puts our purchases in a bag and opens his mouth to say something else but before he can speak—a shout comes from the entrance.

My eyes widen as I turn my head and see two masked robbers enter the store, one of them holding up a gun and demanding us to get down on the ground.

Cole pulls me down to the tiled floor and helps us crawl to the side so we don't become the main focus of the attackers and Xavier goes the opposite direction, hiding out at the front.