10

Selena Lockwood

All my confidence seemed to shed down as I stared at the doorway.

"Mason, I don't think I can face them." I state in distress.

"They already know about you being back. They are so eager to meet you. Trust me." He passed me a smile, and we walked towards the entrance.

"If it makes you uncomfortable, I will take you bac—"

"No, it's fine. I want to see them." I say with a determined tone.

During our car ride, I told Lyra pretty much about the Martinez and my relation with them.

Mason rang the bell, and someone opened the door. I couldn't see who it was since I was standing beside the large window along with Lyra.

"Mason, I assume that you again forgot to get the veggies from the grocery store?!"

Julia.

A warm smile spread across my face.

Mason took my hand and stepped up beside Julia.

"Mom! Look what I found!!" He stated in humour, and I passed her a nervous smile.

She stared at me and Lyra back and forth.

"Baby!! Is this real!! Oh my god!! I thought I would never see you again, dear. Richard, Bella!! Get in here." She hugged the life out of me. I couldn't help but feel a sense of warmth as I wrapped my arms around her.

"And who is this pretty lady down here?!" Juila whispered in awe and crouched down to meet Lyra.

"This is Lyra. My daughter." I tell her, and I could see her eyes widen in shock and silently told her that I would explain.

"Hi!" My daughter waved at her enthusiastically. "Zephy told me you have a cat!!"

Julia chuckled at her enthusiasm. "Yes! We have 2 cats. Parker and Ben."

"Are we gonna stand here forever, mom?" Mason frowned, and I let out a laugh.

"No. Come on in Selena. We have a lot to catch up on."

We began to move inside only to stop my track as Mason's dad and fiance stood frozen.

"Is that.....is that Selena?!" Bella uttered, dazed.

"Where have you been? I missed you so much?" Her eyes filled with tears and engulfed me in a hug.

"I'm sorry, Bel. I had a lot going on, and I thought—"

"You thought wrong. We missed you.."

"Alright, kids, they must be tired. Welcome Selena and Selena Jr." Richard, Mason's dad, said to us that brought out do much warmth.

This is how the Martinez' are. They make you forget every worries as soon as you step into their threshold.

The next few hours were us bonding over the past memories and talking about my broken family. By the end, we were all in tears.

It was almost close to midnight when we decided to leave. Lyra was asleep, and she had already missed a nap since she was busy playing with Parker and Ben.

"Bella, it's getting late. We should head back. I have work tomorrow..." I told her.

"Nobody's going anywhere. Selena, it's already late. Spent the night here. Mason will drop you back I'm the morning." Julia  announced, leaving no room for argument

"But—" I got interrupted by Bella. Well, it was worth a shot.

"No buts. Come on now." Bella stated in finality and took a sleeping Lyra from my arms.