9

Selena Lockwood

"I wasn't sure if you'd reply to my texts." I said, fidgeting my fingers, to the person sitting in front of me.

He did not respond but cross-eyed me and my daughter, who was fast asleep on my arms, Mr. Biscuits secured safely in her hand.

Right. He does not know about the tiny person yet.

This is quite intimidating. I held my breath.

Mason Martinez is a sight for sore eyes. Your typical Flynn Ryder. Expect this person has captivating grey eyes and that eye lashes are something you'd die for.

But I'd die for blues.

Why do men have the most beautiful eyelashes?

You are diverting, Selena.

Focus.

I cleared my throat. "Mason –"

"Why Selena? Why did you cut me off? Where did we go wrong. I needed you as much as you needed me. When did you think it was better enough to cut off your only family? I just.... I searched for you everywhere. Now- I can't even think straight."

Mason vented out in frustration, and I don't blame him. He was right. Mason Martinez was my only family.

I was eight when I first met him.

"Why are you crying?"

I heard someone whispering above my head.

I slowly raised my head to see a boy around my age with a Spiderman helmet on his head.

I did not say anything and simply stared at him while my tears were continuously shedding.

He simply shook his head and wiped my tears. "Don't, angel."

This small gesture brought a warmth in my heart.

"I'm Mason and you?" He smiled.

"Selena." I whispered.

"Nice to meet you. I just moved here. And... I don't know why you cried but I promise you that everything's going to be okay."

He assured me and rod off with his bike.

Somehow, those words brought a sense of reassurance in me.

My parents were doing through a rough divorce, and it affected me. A lot. Those constant fights brought in a lot of distress in our little home.

I never wanted my life to turn out the same. But here we are.

Mason and I were a year apart. So, he'd take up the role of my big brother. I spent pretty much of my childhood with the Martinez.

He even walked me up to the aisle on my wedding.

But right now, I feel distant from the only person I once called family.

"Mason, I know my apologies aren't enough for what I did to you. But at that moment, I felt I was doing the right thing. Hell, I still do believe that. I couldn't burden you with my problems anymore. You were starting to reach the pinnacle of your career, and I didn't want to do that to you." I replied, not knowing if the words spoken were right, given our current situation.