8

Lucian Ashford

"Why don't you ever use that driver to drive you around anywhere?" That squeaky annoying voice speaks across the table, making me stop cutting my steak.

"I don't like anybody driving me around. I'm used to doing things on my own." I reply with a straight face.

I don't even know what I'm doing here. I don't do dating. But my mother is so adamant about getting me married.

And that someone has to be Kimberly Stone.

This is my third time going out for a so-called date. Because my mum wants me to 'get to know her better'.

If there's anything I understand about this woman sitting across me, with her salad, it's that she's nothing but an annoying prick. No offence.

"I know you are stressed about all that pending works, but don't worry, just remember that at the end of the day, we get more money." She voiced placing her manicured hand over mine.

Yeah, more money.

That's it. This is my last straw.

I pulled my hand away from her. "Listen Kim, I'm sorry to leave you hanging, but I need to go right now. I was informed that my client is waiting for me at the mansion."

Her mood soured. " It's— it's fine. I will meet you some other day. Maybe I can come over and help you relieve that stress." She whispered the last part, almost seductively.

I wanted to tell her that I no longer wanted to breathe the same air as hers. But it's plain rude.

"No. Please don't. I assume you will go on your own." I spoke, getting up from the seat.

"Yeah, my driver's here."

"Night then. Ms. Stone." I left after paying the bill.

I stood outside and gazed at the signboard.

Villa d'oro

This place brings me an ocean of good memories.

But everything changes.

I sighed and headed towards my Aston Martin and drove towards the beach.

I got off my car and sat at the end of the cliff and lit a cigarette.

I took a deep puff and exhaled.

"You can't do this to me. To us."

"You never trusted me."

"Lucian, I love you."

Her voice will forever echo in a corner of my mind, a constant reminder of her presence.

The litted cigarette was almost over, but the voices in my head definitely weren't.

I stared at the sky for an eternity. There's nothing more beautiful than a night sky.

I was jolted out of my stargazing with the ringing of my phone.

"Where are you, Lucian?" My mother's voice heard through the phone.

Shit. I should have checked at the caller Id.

"Out." I replied, annoyed.

"Well, Kim's mother called me to inform that you ghosted her daughter tonight. Marrying her daughter is good for our business, Lucian. I taught you better than what you pulled off today!" She snapped.

"Mom, I'm 28 years old. I believe I'm mature enough to make decisions for myself. And as for business, I know for a fact that marriage doesn't bring you profit. And please, for the love of God, stop setting me up with someone. I had enough of you trying to control my life." I hung up.

I was frustrated to the core.

All I need now is a drink.

My phone rang again and I'm sure it's my mom. I switched it off.

It was almost midnight when I reached my penthouse.

I was lucky I made it here in one piece.

"My prodigal son is here."

I sobered up immediately.

Mrs. Ashford is here.

"If that's what you think. Then you don't know what the word means, mother." I spilt in a tipsy voice.

"Go freshen up. We need to talk. You reek of alcohol." My mother shook her head in disapproval.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"Sir, we’re currently working on optimizing the code and conducting extensive testing on a variety of devices. We’re also considering implementing some conditional features that will adjust based on the device’s capabilities."
My assistant explained as I enquired her about the whereabouts of my joint project with Morales.

"That's great. Inform Sel— Ms. Lockwood to organise her team for tomorrow's  meeting. The last meeting did not meet my expectations." I directed him.

"Yes, Mr. Ashford."

"Also, bring me a coffee."

After my conversation with my mom yesterday, I've been experiencing some nerve - wrenching headache. She doesn't know that Selena has been working with me for the past month. Yet

I just hope the project finishes soon. I can't bear the thought of even sharing the same space as hers.

She was once my entire universe. Now we don't belong to the same world.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"No dude, I'm serious about her and I know I fucked up last time but it was unintentional!!!"

Yep. My best friend Tyler decided to grace me with his presence.

He is definitely here to fuel my headache.

"Tyler, women are complicated and I'm the last person you should seek advice from. Now get out. I'm working." I sighed.

But that freak never listen. He is munching on a club sandwich as I speak.

Breathe Lucian. You have got this.

" Yeah right." He scoffed. Suddenly he jumped up.

"Wait!! I think I know who can give me the best advice. You can fuck off. I'm so getting Tara back." He smirked widely with a determined look on his face.

I just shook my head and went back to my work. From the corner of my eye, I noticed that Tyler exited my office.

I glanced at the tattoo on my wrist.

Every man for himself.