|Chapter 4| The Scroll of Dominion

A week at the Black Rabbit clan passed in the blink of an eye. Hadassah spent her days helping Neveah with her potions and studying what she could about humans and their innate abilities. Dream threading, the ability to wade through the mass of sleeping consciousness to find information you need, was quite tasking and often wasn't useful if you couldn't find the right dream.

With the millions of beasts in this world, the chances of finding something you wanted were quite low. She spent her nights listening out for her name or word of a human. As long as she did not hear it, she felt a bit more relaxed. With her new ears, no one would suspect she was human now.

Today, she was on foraging duty. Considering the herbs needed for potion-making ran out quite easily, she was given a basket strapped to her back and set off to the surrounding forest at the crack of dawn.

The large forest was already alive. She could see the fae in the corner of her eyes, but each time she looked, there was nothing there.

"Ugh, I hope I don't die out here," she muttered to herself, trying to ignore the eerie feeling that something was watching her. She really didn't enjoy the powerless feeling that came with the woods; she didn't have the same athletic ability as other beasts and she did not know how to tame beastmen so she was stuck struggling with plants big enough to swallow her whole and digest her in an hour.

Hadassah moved through the forest, her eyes scanning the ground and trees for the herbs Neveah had taught her to identify. She found some lavender sprigs and gently cut them, placing them in her basket. She continued deeper into the forest, her senses alert.

As she foraged, she stumbled upon a small clearing filled with wildflowers. She knelt down and began to gather some of the more useful ones, such as chamomile and yarrow. The vibrant colours and fragrant scents of the flowers made the task enjoyable until she heard the loud buzzing of dragonflies and she had to take cover intermediately.

After an hour or so, her basket was half-full, and she decided to venture further. She noticed a faint trail leading deeper into the woods and followed it. The trail grew narrower and more overgrown, but she pressed on, considering she had quite a few herbs she hadn't seen yet.

Eventually, she came across a large boulder, partially covered in moss.

'This boulder is shaped oddly.'

The boulder was shaped like a set of large stone doors. She took a closer look, pushing away the moss, revealing a faded root filled carving on the edges of the boulder. It was definitely artificial, it looked too heavy to push unless you had the strength of a boar. She examined it closely, running her fingers along its surface until she found a small crevice. With some effort, she managed to wedge her fingers into the crevice and push a stiff, round-feeling object. She waited for a while until the boulder rumbled before slowly tearing away from each other but only by a small margin. She peeked through the large slit and could only see pitch darkness.

'I'm not going in there, right?' She asked herself. But she couldn't help but think that if this was left over by humans, then there might be some more information for her. She took a deep breath, her heart racing with excitement at the thought of finally unlocking her powers. She squeezed through the opening and found herself in a large, dark tunnel, with only the sounds of dripping water to accompany her.

She followed the sound, her footsteps echoing softly off the stone walls. The tunnel eventually opened up into a vast ravine, she almost took the wrong step, falling into the darkness. She gasped, pushing her back against the stone wall as she took in the sight before her.

An abandoned castle stood at the edge of the ravine, its towers reaching high into the sky. Vines and moss covered its walls, and the place had an eerie, ancient beauty. Hadassah carefully made her way down a rocky path leading to the castle's entrance, her excitement growing with each step.