10. The Mature One

"Hello," Laura was already speaking as she opened the door. "Sorry it took a while, I've..." and then her voice trailed off as she saw who was standing in front of her. Of course, she should have expected something like this. But right now surprise seemed to be ruling her mind, and she didn't know the right thing to say.

"Hey," Ben said, raising a hand in a half wave. "I hope I'm not interrupting anything. I just wanted to check in and see how things were going with your sister."

Laura stammered, embarrassed and not sure if she could even start to tell him what her day so far had been like. But she knew deep down that she couldn't leave Rosie alone for too long, so she would either have to say something or ask him to leave.

"I... uhh... It's been a morning," she said eventually. "Rosie's playing upstairs now, but I'll have to check on her in a second. Don't want to leave her alone too long. Uh... were you going to the concert? I'm afraid I can't leave my little sister."

"I can go," he said with a shrug. "If you want me to. If you're okay doing this on your own. I used to do a lot of babysitting, see, so I'm happy to help out."

Laura opened her mouth to respond, but then his hand was on her shoulder, and no words were coming. Ben touched her; and that seemed like a huge milestone that she would always remember.

"Don't think about what you should say," he urged her. "Trust me when I say I can make plans. And trust me when I say that even if your little one is more self-aware than most, it'll still be exhausting trying to do this solo."

"Yeah, I... Sure, come on in. But she's a bit smaller than we expected, so... I'm kind of disorganised."

"All the better to have someone to help, then," he said calmly. And as she led him into the house, she thought that he sounded a lot like Daniel at that moment. Unflappable, competent, and willing to put everything else aside to make sure she was happy. Even giving up on a once-in-a-lifetime chance to see one of his favourite bands live. She didn't want that to happen; she hoped he could meet Rosie and still get to the venue on time. But she also didn't want Rosie's first day as a girl to be marred by the lack of a competent babysitter, so it was hard to work out the best way to react.

She quickly realised that Ben was glancing around as they walked to the stairs; inquisitive but also trying not to appear nosy. It was then that she realised he'd never come to her house before. In fact, she couldn't remember telling him where she lived, so she had to guess that he'd asked one of her friends. Was that a good sign or not?

"So..." he said, before she could follow that train of thought much further. "Rosie?"

"Yeah, I... I just kind of said it without thinking. I couldn't call her Daniel now she's a girl, and it was the first thing that came to mind. Don't know if we'll keep it."

"It's a cute name. I would have expected something like Dani, or Deanna, so it's less of a change. But Rosie is a sweet name. I guess we'll have to see if she likes it."

Laura blushed, but led him to Daniel's room, or Rosie's room. Whichever it was now.

"Hey, Rosie," she said to the tiny figure grasping at dolls on the bed. "Ben's come to visit. Are you okay trying to make a new friend?" Rosie didn't need time to think, she just nodded. And as Ben came into the room, the little girl stretched one arm out as if offering him a doll. He took it and smiled; and it seemed that was all the introduction that was necessary.

They all sat down on the bed, and helped Rosie to play with her dolls. She seemed happier than Laura had ever seen her, just overjoyed to have people around her. The only worry was that Rosie didn't have her adult mind now; that something had been lost in the transition. And that was enough of a big deal that Laura couldn't really focus on holding up the dolls and addressing her little sister in a squeaky Barbie-voice.