(V7) Chapter 2: That Man

AS I walked alongside Chabashira-sensei, we veered off towards a secluded part of the school. 

"Hey. Why this detour?" I queried, "Surely it's somewhat premature for career guidance?"

"Patience," She retorted.

I tried to lighten things up with a joke, but it didn't seem like she was going to answer a student's question. However, rather than what was on the other side of the door, what I was worried about right now was Chabashira-sensei. 

She sounded almost flustered, and that worried me. She was normally so composed. Whoever she was taking me to see—even if it was the person I imagined... this wasn't normal behavior for her.

She knocked on an office door. "Principal, I've brought Ayanokouji Kiyotaka-kun."

"Enter." came the reply, a voice filled with the weight of years and authority.

Chabashira-sensei opened the door. A man of about sixty sat on the sofa. He was certainly the school's principal; I'd seen him multiple times before, at the entrance ceremony and during the end-of-the-semester ceremony. He didn't look calm, either. The principal's usual calm demeanor was absent, replaced by a palpable tension.

If the principal was here and this worried, something very important regarding my school life was taking place.

One other person was there, sitting opposite the principal. I now knew the reason I'd been called here.

"You two may talk now," said the principal. "I trust this is acceptable?"

"Of course." I answered.

"Very well. I'll take my leave now. Excuse me," the principal said. He bowed out humbly, despite the fact that the person sitting opposite him was only in his forties.

"I'll excuse myself as well." Chabashira-sensei bowed graciously to the man and left with the principal. The final look she gave me was visibly nervous. As the door closed, the only sound I heard was the heating system's faint whirring.

It didn't take long before the man started speaking, "How about you take a seat? I'd imagined all that walking must've made you tired."

It had been one year... no, a year and a half since I'd heard this man's voice. His way of speaking and tone hadn't changed at all.

"I'm sure you know that walking isn't an activity that'll tire me out," I responded logically.

He scoffed, "You've been away from the White Room for over a year. Surely, your physical abilities have deteriorated," 

I kept my silence and stood in my place.

"So, you're not going to obey?" He probed.

"We're in Advanced Nurturing High School. Last I checked, you're not in charge of this school."

"... I see you changed quite a bit," He lowered his tone.

"I don't plan on having a long conversation. I'm going out with my friends soon." I knew saying this would've made him think that I was joking.

"Friends? You? That's laughable," The man sneered. Typical. He just assumed that was true, even though he hadn't seen me in so long.

"Whether we talk or not, it won't change anything." I boasted.

"Then I assume you're going to do as I say. No need to discuss anything; I'm busy anyway. I assume you know what this might be about?" 

I kept quiet, not because I didn't know what to say but because the silence was my answer. The man knew that my answer was yes.