chapter three

It was pouring with rain by the time the siblings got together in the courtyard for their father's funeral. Everyone was carrying a black umbrella (funnily enough they had a lot of those at their home), except for Luther, Diego and Klaus, the latter carrying a pink one he'd found somewhere while Luther and Diego just didn't have an umbrella. Bea guessed it was because they didn't want to appear "weak" or whatever, but she didn't really see what was so tough about catching a cold.

Bea cast a look at Ben's statue, feeling glad that he was here to witness this. It felt comforting to know that he'd be present for whatever shit was about to go down, Ben always had a calming effect on her.

The siblings all gathered in front of the statue, Luther standing before them all, Reginald's urn in his hands.

"Did something happen?" Grace asked. Bea frowned at her words. She hadn't gotten the chance to talk to her mum yet, but something seemed off about her. She made a mental note to check up on her later.

"Dad died." Allison reminded their mum. "Remember?"

"Oh, yes. Of course." Grace replied, frowning slightly.

"Is mum okay?" Allison asked Diego worriedly, who'd always been closest with her.

"Yeah, yeah, she's fine." Diego nodded. "She just needs to rest. You know, recharge."

Bea wasn't so convinced and pulled her bottom lip between her teeth nervously. She dropped the matter once Pogo arrived though, who looked older than ever, Reggie's death had probably affected him the most.

"Whenever you're ready, dear boy." Pogo told Luther, who hesitated only for a moment, before taking the lid off the urn and pouring out the ashes.

Bea cringed as the ash just fell into a pile on the ground, noticing that it was indeed, not as full as it could have been and glancing at Klaus who was cringing as well.

"Probably would've been better with some wind." Luther stated awkwardly.

"Does anyone wish to speak?" Pogo glanced around at the siblings, who all shook their heads. Bea thought about it for a moment, but she didn't have any particular nice thoughts about her father. That man had abused her and her siblings their entire life and to he honest she was glad he was dead and would never be able to haunt her again.

"Very well." Pogo sighed. "In all regards, Sir Reginald Hargreaves's made me what I am today. For that alone, I shall forever be in his debt. He was my master and my friend and I shall miss him very much. He leaves behind a complicated legacy..."

"He was a monster." Diego interrupted as Klaus laughed loudly at his words. "He was a bad person and a worse father."

"Can't say I disagree." Bea mumbled. Still, there was a time and place. This was neither.

"The world's better off without him." Diego said.

"Diego." Allison interrupted.

"My name is Number Two." Diego scoffed. "You know why? Because our father couldn't be bothered to give us actual names. He had Mum do it."

"Would anyone like something to eat?" Grace asked cheerfully. Bea frowned at her again, it was as if Grace's capability to feel had been turned off. It was disturbing.

"No, it's okay Mum." Vanya told her gently.

"Oh, okay." Grace replied with a smile.

"Look, if you want to pay your respects..." Diego said, walking up next to Luther. "Go ahead. But at least be honest about the kind of man he was."

"You should stop talking now." Luther warned.

"You know, you of all people should be on my side here, Number One." Diego turned to Luther.