chapter fifteen

— COLE —

I take off my shirt as Richard starts driving to Dorian's house and tie it around Camilla's cut.

It's not too deep but it's still bleeding and appears to hurt like a bitch. She hasn't lost too much blood, thankfully.

Luckily Dorian has a live-in doctor that's always on call so hopefully I can get him to check Camilla's injury.

My heart starts racing when I think of Dorian, he always gave me the fucking chills.

I remember when I first met him, pinned against a wall, a gun pressed against his head by the man he thought he trusted.

I didn't know him and normally I wouldn't have gotten myself involved with something like that—but something in me screamed to help him before he was killed.

So I did, I managed to intercept the guy holding the gun and I managed to clock him in the head—just hard enough so he'd be knocked out for a few.

Dorian looked like the king of hell, his pitch dark hair and those hauntingly empty eyes... filled with nothing but apathy and that small smirk on his face, as if he was expecting this.

"Why did you do that?" He had asked, I bristled—why did I do that? He didn't say thank you, nothing like that.

"I don't know." I responded.

He shook his head slightly, as if expecting that answer, it was so very curious.

He then handed over a card, a black shiny card with blood red engraved lettering.

Dorian Mallory

His name, with a phone number and an address etched beneath it. I was so very confused, and at the same time I had this urge to run away—run for my fucking life, as if Dorian was someone I shouldn't be talking to.

"I'll be watching over you—I owe you one."

He walked away, rain pouring down over him but there was not a faint error in his strides, not a single slip or glance behind him. Nothing at all.

I always knew he was watching me. Every day of my life he was. Even if I only saw him a few times after that day, I knew he was scrutinising my every move.

I was only nineteen when that incident happened, coincidentally it was the age I decided to start working for The Soul-Eaters and help them kill The Corrupts.

Dorian would randomly bump into me on the busy streets and would tell me to join him for dinner at his house, I couldn't just disagree—he was a fucking scary man.

He has ties to the mafia, I know that after seeing men from the Italian Mafia come over with guns strapped to their waists.

He told me so.

But I swore I would never interact with that man again after it had been a year since I saw him, I would just let him stalk me and I would carry on with my life.

I told Xavier about Dorian and he looked fucking rattled—as if he knew something I didn't about him, he still hasn't told me.