06

AMELIA BENNET

My heart raced as I watched Daniel, my ex-boyfriend, stride confidently toward the witness stand. Memories of our past together flickered in my mind, but I quickly brushed them aside. This moment wasn't about our past; it was about Ryan's future. I needed to stay focused and composed.

"Your Honor, I call Mr. Carter to the stand." Daniel's voice delivered.

A sense of foreboding washed over me as I glanced at Ethan. I could see the tension in his shoulders, his jaw set tight. Mr. Carter, an elderly man slowly approached the stand. Ethan's eyes briefly met mine, filled with worry, and I felt a surge of determination to protect him.

"Mr.Carter, please introduce yourself."

"I, George Carter, have been an employee at Mr.Reed's fro more than 10 yea-

"Mr. Carter, can you please describe Mr.Reed's work schedule?" Daniel cut him off.

"Ethan is extremely dedicated to his job." Carter continued, "He often works long hours, sometimes late into the night. He's very hands-on and always ensures everything runs smoothly."

Daniel's smirk sent a chill down my spine. He was playing his cards well, aiming to depict Ethan as an overworked executive. I bit my lip, trying to quell the frustration bubbling within me.

"In your opinion, how does Mr.Reed's work schedule affect his ability to care for his son, Ryan?"

"It's demanding. There have been times when he's had to travel on short notice, and many days when he leaves early and comes back very late. It's clear he loves his son, but his responsibilities as a CEO are extensive and time-consuming."

The courtroom seemed to close in on me as Daniel continued his questioning. The weight of his words hung heavily in the air, casting shadows over Ethan's role as a father. I clenched my fists beneath the table, feeling a mix of anger and resolve. This was my chance to show the court that Ethan's love for Ryan transcended his demanding job.

"Thank you, Mr. Carter. No further questions." Daniel concludes.

I denied cross-examination. I felt a sudden pang of annoyance.

As Mr. Carter left the stand, I took a deep breath, trying to steady my racing heart. Daniel's strategy was clear—he wanted to paint Ethan as a workaholic who couldn't be there for his son. But I knew better. I knew the sacrifices Ethan made, the lengths he went to ensure Ryan felt loved and supported.

I looked at Ethan, giving him a reassuring nod. His eyes softened, and I saw a flicker of hope. He trusts me and I pay him back.  We were in this together, and I would fight for him and Ryan with every ounce of strength I had. This battle was far from just Ryan's custody, and I was ready to counter Daniel's every move.