CHAPTER 10 - AMBUSHED IN THE SHADOWS

Nathan had been at the academy for about a month now, and he had settled into the routine of classes and training. The daily schedule was demanding, but he found himself adjusting to the challenges. He had learned a great deal in a short time and was curious to see how much more he could learn and grow over the coming months.

Nathan spent his free time in the library, gathering as much information as he could about magic and the academy. He would read through tomes and scrolls, absorbing knowledge like a sponge, eager to learn everything he could about the world of magic.
He also would go to the forest outside of the city to train. There, he would practice both his physical and magical abilities, pushing himself to his limits in hopes of becoming stronger.

Nathan was in the midst of his magic class, listening to his teacher drone on about the intricacies of magical theory and practice. He did his best to maintain his focus on the lesson, but sometimes his mind would wander, and he'd find himself zoning out.

To keep himself engaged, Nathan would occasionally take short mental breaks and let his mind wander. He'd look out the window, observe the other students, or just let his thoughts drift for a moment before bringing his attention back to the lecture.

As he continued to listen to the teacher, he couldn't help but find himself reflecting on his own progress since starting the academy. He was slowly becoming more confident and competent in his abilities, but there was still so much more to learn.

During class break, Nathan would usually meet up with Noah and Emma in the cafeteria. They would chat about the latest lessons and magical techniques they were learning, as well as share gossip about other students and the instructors.
Sometimes, when they had more time, the three of them would also go for walks around the campus, talking about anything and everything, from magic to their personal lives.

These casual conversations helped to ease the pressure of their intense magic studies and provided a much-needed respite for the trio. They had formed a strong bond and found comfort in each other's company.

Noah was a commoner whose family owned a blacksmith shop in the city. He often boasted about his skills in crafting, which occasionally impressed and intrigued Nathan.
Nathan had never seen Noah's work, but he was curious to witness firsthand the impressive ability that the other boy claimed to possess.

Noah had enrolled in the academy with the ultimate goal of joining the Knights one day. He believed that the academic years of study and training would not only hone his skills but also provide him with the foundational knowledge and reputation he needed to succeed in the rigorous selection process for the Knights.

Emma was also a commoner, her family running a bakery in the city. Despite her family's business, she had little interest in working there. Instead, her passion lay in the study of magic.
Her choice of attire reflected this, as she often wore dark and gothic clothing that gave her a somewhat mysterious, witch-like appearance.

Despite her love of magic, Emma also possessed a laid-back and somewhat lazy demeanor. She could often be found lounging around, her nose buried in a spellbook or taking naps throughout the day.

Nathan had formed a strong friendship with both Noah and Emma, and they considered him a close and reliable companion. He was seen as a down-to-earth and fun person to be around, which was refreshing to them in the often competitive and intense environment of the academy.

In the academy, Noah, Emma, and Nathan faced opposition from their classmates belonging to noble families. Their commoner backgrounds set them apart and often led to discrimination and disdain from the entitled nobles.

Despite being from a noble family himself, Nathan didn't conform to the typical noble lifestyle. He found common ground with Noah and Emma through his down-to-earth nature and his habit of living like a commoner. This shared bond was a significant reason why they formed such a strong friendship.