|Chapter 5| Divination & Doom

"Oh, welcome back! I hope your bath was peaceful," the guard greeted her amicably, noticing her wet hair.

Hadassah laughed awkwardly, trying to appear nonchalant. "Yes, thank you," she said before scurrying off. She had left Rahn in the pool, which had been quite difficult since he kept trying to follow her around. She had promised him she would come back the next night, hopefully with some clothes. But now, she needed to wake up early, and it was already quite late.

The next morning came too quickly. The first light of dawn crept through her window, and Hadassah groaned, rubbing her eyes. She spent some time combing out her braids, which she had put her hair in last night, if she hadn't, her hair would be a tangled mess right now. She got herself dressed in her uniform and after checking herself in the mirror, she made her way to the green room, where Neveah was already busy with her potions.

"Good morning, Hadassah." Neveah greeted her with a warm smile, looking up from her cauldron. "I hope you slept well. Today, I need you to shadow Zarek."

Hadassah's heart sank. Zarek did not like humans. He had made that abundantly clear during their previous encounters, and she was fine with it as long as she avoided him. But now she was being pushed into the lion's den. "Oh, um, okay," she replied, trying to keep her voice steady. She was really afraid that she would lose her temper on that brat by accident.

Neveah placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder. "I know he can be difficult, but you need to see how divination works somehow and he's very skilled. You can learn a lot from him."

Hadassah nodded, forcing a smile. "I'll do my best."

Neveah smiled back. "That's the spirit. Now, go find Zarek. He's in the main hall."

Hadassah made her way to the main hall, her stomach twisting in knots. She found Zarek floating a few feet above looking through the books. As soon as he saw her, his expression darkened.

"Oh, great. The human," he said with a sneer. "You're supposed to shadow me today. Try to keep up."

Hadassah calmed her heart, she was never an angry person before so she wouldn't let him force her to lose her wits.

"Humans are so slow," he muttered. "I don't understand why the Great Kesmes even bothers with you."

She took a deep breath, "Alright, where do we start?" She pretended to ignore his muttering.

Zarek didn't bother to answer; he simply left the room, floating off the edge of the hallway and descending into the foyer. Hadassah didn't know if she should laugh at his hcildishness of rip out her hair. She came all the way here and he just left to descend back to the foyer. She decided to just wait right here in his room. He was bound to come back, if he didn't she would rumage through all his things out of spite.

Zarek's room was a large, pitch-black auditorium filled with telescopes of various sizes and an overwhelming number of books scattered everywhere. The ceiling was a marvel, looking like the universe itself, with stars and constellations twinkling above her. She felt he did not deserve such a nice room, it was nicer than Neveah's room.

She found herself momentarily lost in the beauty of the room, the cosmic ceiling almost making her forget the irritation caused by Zarek. The centre of the room had a large round table with a map of the world drawn on it. She studied it curiously; it was so well made that she wondered just how expensive it was. Did he make money by divining the future? She wondered how much it would cost to rent a junior Kesmes like him.

"Decided to stick around, did you?" he said with a frown, clearly expecting her to have run after him.

Hadassah straightened up, meeting his gaze with a calm expression. "I figured you'd come back eventually."