Part 24

Elias stood eye to eye with Wallace who smirked menacingly at him. "You have the nerve to meet at this sighting." Both men glanced at the gravestone where Sapphire laid. "What better place than this. Sit with me." Silence swarmed them as no one spoke. Wallace sighed heavily before touching her grave. "She would have been alive if she didn't fall in love with you. Father would have never sent her off to be married if she didn't overstep him. All she had to do was stay away from you but she claimed to be in love." 

Water built in his eyes but dare not fall. His nostrils flared as his throat closed up. Wallace licked his dry lips, placing the flowers beside her. "We were in love, no matter what you though–" Elias was cut off. "And where has that gotten her? Who does her heart beat for now? Even down to her last breath, her last beat was for you and now yours beat for another. How is that fair?" His eyes bored into Elias', rage and sadness seeping through.

"Father married her off because of you, she was mistreated because of you and yet— and yet we were blamed... I was blamed!!" Elias clenched his jaw. "If you weren't so bitter and just let us be then maybe she would have been alive. It was you who felt the need to make me miserable at your sister's expense. You would have done anything and everything to separate us." Wallace's chest fell and rose quickly at his words. "The guilt of being the reason why your sister is dead must be driving you so insane that you tried blaming me–"

"Shut up, Elias–"

"Because you know the real reason why she isn't here with us–"

"I said quiet–"

"Why? Does it bother you that the truth is finally coming to the light? You nor your conscience will burden me for moving on with my life. Your sister isn't here because of your actions. You will bother me no longer. You will leave my wife alone and my kingdom. This pain is yours to carry as I have already made my peace. Make this the last visit that I have to make." As he stood to his feet, Wallace let the tears fall. "She loved too hard and I was afraid to let her go." Elias paused in his tracks.

"My Sapphire, my sweet little sister... she was such a bright light and a joy to be around until I caught one of my father's allies on top of her. She was raped, traumatized and yet she smiled, she smiled because father told her that her sacrifice would be remembered." He spat viciously. "She was too young to know what any of that meant and Asata and I vowed to protect and take care of her for as long as we could. When you came around, I just thought that you were just a hormonal teenager who wanted one thing so I fought with you."

Wallace clenched his hands together. "I didn't realize how grown up she was. I didn't realize how mature she had become so I did what I thought was best. We had an ally that was recently widowed and he was looking for a wife. I did a thorough investigation on him, but nothing came up. He was respectable, loved and kind, nothing but upright respect and honour. I thought that he would take care of her. I thought that he would love her and give her everything she needed and then she would forget about you."

"He beat my little sister until death became her only sweet escape. I saw all the signs of her being unhappy and I ignored all of them because I thought I was doing the right thing." Elias said nothing, he left the broken man behind him to speak. "Why did I do such a thing? Why was I so blind and foolish? My Sapphie, I am so sorry." A stray tear slipped down Elias' face. "I will leave you alone from now on. You have my word." Elias said nothing, he simply walked out the private cemetery. A gust of wind hit his face as his knees buckled from the tension. He was free, he was finally free.

~
~
~

Two weeks have passed and there was no word from her husband but she had other plans to complete. Audrey carried two buckets of paint across the field as everyone joined to rebuild the Rushard area. "We cannot thank you enough, this is the best gift I have received in years." A mother spoke to her with tears in her eyes. "I had the power to change it and I used it. No need to thank me, I am so happy that you and your children can sleep well tonight." Audrey hugged her before carrying out her day. Layla popped up beside her. "How is everything on your end?"