Chapter Four | dead bodies start to smell...

DEAD BODIES START TO SMELL...

It turned out that waking up in the wilderness was no fun thing. It was nothing like camping, that was for sure. Misty could feel the sticks, and god knows what else beneath her as she rolled over, preparing herself for a long day. But what was worse was the smell that seemed to be permeating through the camp; it was the other girls, the dead ones. After all, dead bodies certainly had a distinctive smell, and it was not a pleasant one. She was quick to rise and stuff her blanket in her backpack; it was hers now, and the smell of rotting flesh was notorious for sticking to anything nearby. Misty really didn't want to have to sleep under a blanket that smelled of dead people, it was bad enough that they were camping without a tent.

As she rose from her seated position, rubbing her nose in an attempt to dissolve the smell unsuccessfully. She wondered for a minute, just a minute, whether it was perhaps a bad idea to destroy the black box. Living like this just wasn't for her. Then she turned around and caught sight of the wide smile between Coach Scott and Jane Newman, and all those feelings dissipated. If she could just get a smile like that aimed at her, aimed in her direction, everything would be just right in the world.

She watched the pair sit there, clearly feeling pretty useless as the other more-able girls strolled about the woods, returning with firewood, berries and some mushrooms. Perhaps it would be a good idea to have them join in on the rationing? Misty's gaze moved from the pair for the first time to the group of girls sat around the unlit firepit, talking and laughing with each other. Perhaps not. Jane nor Coach Scott were particularly familiar with the girls; sure, they all knew each other as acquaintances, and Misty wanted to keep it that way. She'd always be the first option if there was only one choice.