3. How Did It End?

Crouched next to Luke on the ground, Ser Harwin smoothed his hair. "Be good to your mother, lads...and missus," he added with a sad smile. "I'll visit when I can, but that may be some time," he stood. When Jace ran to our mother, Ser Harwin decided to sit next to me. I put down my embroidery and frowned. "You tame that wild dragon of yours," he kissed the top of my head. "And if you can't, send me a raven. I'll be here within days' time to ensure you're to claim a new one."

I smiled. His limited knowledge on how the tradition of dragons and their riders work made me laugh, but kindness had always been something that warmed my heart.

My mother rubbed Jace's back to ease him, but when Ser Harwin walked over, she averted her eyes from the interaction. Luke, doleful, moved next to me, so I wrapped my arms around him.

"I will return," Ser Harwin said. When Jace's eyes fell the ground, Ser Harwin reached a hand under his chin and brought them up. "I promise."

The court yard incident was more sever than my mother had described, but exactly what I assumed had happened. Ser Criston made alluding remarks on Ser Harwin's interest in my brothers' training, saying loads of atrocities, but ultimately, inferring the reason he cared was because Jace and Luke were his sons. Ser Harwin had to be ripped off and held back by four guards from Ser Criston after beating him. He was later stripped of his title as Commander of the City Watch, and made to return to Harrenhal with his father—Lord Lyonel Strong after the King granted the Lord permission to help prepare Harwin to rule from their family's seat.

He was leaving, and it made the three of us sad. Ser Harwin was always around, and he always cared. Ser Criston could offer all the insinuations he wished about how Harwin was towards us—but he was kind, brave, selfless... He cared for us. It might not have helped our position at court, and further may have damaged it, but I didn't care. He was good, kind, and I think he loved us.

My mother never confirmed my suspicions, but by our conversation the other day I can assume what I think to be the truth because I know it was not just us that was suffering the pain of loosing Ser Harwin—it was my mother, too. Even while trying to let us have our moment with him, secluding herself to the side, her presence was hovering throughout the room. Her body was stiff and angular despite bouncing Joffrey, and her face cold and still. No matter the calmness she portrayed to ease our worries, I could see the sorrow and stress buried in her heart even if she did not go about expressing it.

When Jace nodded his head, affirming he understood this was not a permanent goodbye, Ser Harwin looked at my mother—a look between that of estranged lovers—and a look I'd never seen between my own parents. I started feeling sick all over again.

I shook my head. "You knew and you lied to me."

He rolled his eyes. "I didn't lie."

All at once, his words made the situation real. The hope I'd clung to that said what I suspected was false, had died. I sat with the realization of any future I'd hoped for being gone.

"You did, Aegon."

He shrugged like it was no matter to fret over. "I told you what it was."

"You didn't tell me what it meant!" I shoved him. "You tricked me—that's even worse than lying," I cried. "You purposely withheld that from me for years."

For the first time since this conversation began, I think he looked remorseful. I didn't know if it was regret for burning one of the only people that liked him, or sadness he was caught. A look passed between us—one I knew we wouldn't share for a long time—or maybe ever again.

Aegon grabbed my hand, but I pulled it away and crossed my arms, looking out the window beside us. He reached for my elbow, but it just made me turn my body away from him.

"Fuck you."

He sighed, annoyed and defeated. "I didn't mean for it to happen like that or for this long."

"So why did it? Because I wasn't put off by you and your vile qualities?" I taunted, shoving my hands against his chest. "Well you've irked me as you were doomed to have."

"I will be a stranger...when we meet again," Ser Harwin kissed Joffrey's head, looking upon him, longingly.

From the divan, I saw my mother's attempt at remaining cool as her and Ser Harwin stared at one another. The silence was deafening, and my chest felt like it was on the verge of exploding. I raced to my mother's side and took Joffrey from her arms.

"Here," I offered. "I'll take him...go for a walk," I bowed my head to Ser Harwin and stormed out the room, not wanting to be in the same environment as I'd spent the last two years in.

I bounced Joffrey as I walked down the main steps that led to the sunlit gardens. Two of us strolled around until I picked a flower, which Joffrey clenched in his hand, making me laugh as he shook it, violently. When the sun became too much for his eyes, I took him down to the caverns, but no dragons were in sight. I thought of calling on Volantis, but I didn't trust her to come—so I figured we could check on his egg in the nursery.

"Is it you ignoring me now?"

I turned. "No. I just didn't see you."

"Well I saw you."

"Congratulations," I twisted back to keep walking.

"I heard your father was leaving today," Aegon joined Joffrey and I.

"My father is still here."

"Not him. Ser Harwin Strong."

"As I said before, my father is still here."

"Then he won't be for much longer," he sniggered.

I stopped and turned to him. "Can I help you with something or...?"

"Princess!" Marnie screamed from down the hall, running towards me.

"Marnie?"

"Princess!" she smiled and waved. "I've been looking for the little Prince everywhere! Your mother said he was with you."

"Oh, I'm sorry. We were just out for a walk," I looked at Aegon, hoping she wouldn't assume it was with him. Thankfully, he rolled his eyes and walked away. "Is it time he visit the milkmaid?" I asked.

"Yes, Your Highness," she took Joffrey from my arms.