17. Three Cool Cats

Those who supported my mother's claim gathered in the Chamber of the Painted Table

Those who supported my mother's claim gathered in the Chamber of the Painted Table. In the middle, of course, was the Painted Table—forged to represent the kingdoms, lands, and rivers of Westeros. Every landmark and title glowed from fire placed in the pit of the table's base.

When my mother entered, we bowed our heads in respect as my cousin offered her wine. "Thank you, Rhaena," she nodded. "Come," they joined the table. "What's our standing?"

"We have thirty knights, a hundred crossbowmen, and three-hundred men-at-arms," Daemon listed. "Dragonstone is relatively easy to defend, but as an instrument of conquest, our army leaves a lot to be desired. We've sent word to my loyal men in the City Watch. I'll have some support there, but I cannot speak the numbers."

"I've also sent word to my lady-servants of the Red Keep," I spoke up. "Upon my return to King's Landing, a great deal of my years were spent treating with servants of the castle—they're loyal to me."

When I overheard Daemon speaking to Maester Gerardys about sending word to his loyalists in the City Watch, I understood, then, that a war was looming. Here we sat, strategizing plans to configure which Houses continued to uphold the oaths sworn under my grandsire's reign—trying to find my mother the numbers and dragon-power when I wasn't sure, myself, if Volantis and I would be apart of that contribution.

These past few days I wanted to believe she'd remained in the Dragonmont after our arrival, but I also knew the chance I took in King's Landing with my promise. I was scared to see the outcome, instead, choosing to send word to Marnie when I heard of Daemon's plan. I quickly ran to my chambers, wrote a letter urging her—or any of the women she could trust—to keep me up-to-date on the state of the Greens. Near the message's end, I contemplated if inquiring about Baelon was smart. I missed him so dearly, but I worried if the wrong person had found the letter, if it would mean disastrous consequences for him, and I wanted the attention to stray away from him as largely as possible.

"The Greens will be monitoring the messages, Princess," Daemon replied. "Maids can only transfer whispers, not sneak ravens."

"There are loyalists to the Queen's cause outside of my lady-servants that could help," I turned to my mother. "They helped me."

She looked between Daemon and I before nodding, urging me to continue.

"I've requested they act as my eyes and report back with word on interactions and arrangements made within the castle walls. If something happens, I can count on them to attempt relaying messages."

"Thank you, Princess," she nodded.

"We already have declarations from Celtigar and Staunton—Massey, Darklyn, Bar Emmon..." Maester Gerardys listed Houses who've pledged their allegiance.

"My lady mother was an Arryn," the Queen pointed to the Vale. "The Vale will not turn cloak against their own kin."

Jace placed a marker on the Eyrie.