44. ECHOES OF FRACTURED TRUST

I can't unlove you

___________________________

Samaira
( Two years ago)

"Samaira, slow down." Avya's voice echoed from the background as I stopped in front of Vrit's house and pressed the doorbell once, waiting for a reply.

The thoughts of the red envelope occupied my mind: 'Beware who you trust.'

What does that even mean? Who could have sent it?

The unknown envelope and Vrit's noticeable absence from my art exhibition were eating me up.

I looked up at the still-closed door. Why wasn't he opening it?

"Stop running so damn fast, Samaira. My poor legs can't take it anymore." Avya finally caught up, huffing and taking huge gulps, dramatic.

"You put men to shame in defense combat. You have enough stamina, Avya," I gave her a side-eye. Vrit still hadn't answered the door.

I pressed the bell again.

"But I'm tired." She whined, rubbing her face. She really was exhausted; those shifts at the hospital drained her energy. "And why isn't Vrit answering the damn door?" she added, frustration clear in her voice.

I frowned further.

He wasn't answering his phone either.

"Is he even home?" Avya asked, looking around.

"I don't know," I whispered, thinking back to unread messages and unanswered phone calls.

Is he okay? I was so busy with my art exhibition that I thought he'd be too busy to attend. But what if something happened to him?

A different kind of fear settled in. I should have thought about this before.

"Samaira," Avya's voice called me back.

"Huh?" I zoned in, coming back to reality.

"He's home." Avya nodded at the shoes outside, placed in disarray as if he hurried back inside.

So he was inside. Then why wasn't he opening the door?

"I have a spare key," I told her, searching through my purse.

Vrit gave it to me a month ago, telling me I had free access to him, all of him.

I pulled the key out, and the lock clicked, opening the door to a very dark room.

The sound of the door opening was prominent in the cold silence.

I peeked inside slowly, carefully. The hall was dark, cold, and silent-the kind of silence that brings goosebumps.

I looked back at Avya, making sure she was following. With a nod, I entered fully.

I took in everything in the dim light coming from outside-the wall paintings I painted and gifted, one each.

The table stand, a half-full glass of water near the sofa.

A low groan snapped my attention back to the sofa. I moved as soon as I heard the sound, my heart pounding. "Vrit?" I called out, my voice trembling.

I rushed to the sofa, my eyes adjusting to the darkness. There he was, lying on the couch, clutching his side, his face contorted in pain.

"Oh my God, Vrit, what happened?" I held his hand, searching for signs of movement.