038

C H A E W O N

Sounds of lockers opening and closing catch my attention as I slowly walk up to Yunjin, who is packing her things away, ready to leave the school since it's dismissal.

Taking a deep breath, I tap her lightly on the shoulder and feel her tense.

"Hello, Yunjin."

I greet her formally, straightening my cheerleader skirt as I plant a genuine smile on my face—a smile that not many people would see—but she still has her back facing me.

Knowing this would happen, I skip to her front and smile again, but she turns at the last minute, and I'm back to staring at her sweater.

I gulp and realize I won't be seeing her face today.

"Will you please hear me out?" I whisper, tucking a loose strand of hair as I watch the hallways slowly emptying.

"Please?"

She shakes her head and starts to walk, slamming her locker shut as I cringe at the sound while following her large steps—damn, her legs can walk.

I rush to her side and grab her wrist, twisting her around as her face goes blank and expressionless again.

Her eyebrows arch, and I feel my legs losing their balance as I stare into her eyes.

"Yunjin—I want to say I'm sorry, I didn't—"

She shrugs her shoulder up and sighs loudly, interrupting my words.

"Is that all?" she monotones, flicking her hair to the side.

I narrow my eyes at her and bite my lower lip.

"I-I didn't even say anything yet—" I force out a fake laugh, tilting my head to the side as she brings up her hand to scratch her cheek.

And fuck, why do I actually think it's adorable?

"Okay—you said something now, so can I go?" she points back, to the direction of the parking lot as she doesn't bother to wait for me and swivels on the balls of her feet, strutting to the door as I block her way again, my arms out to the handles.

I take a deep breath.

"No, that's not what I was going to say, yunjin—"

She laughs and shakes her head.

"I'm surprised you're not calling me 'Nerdy' anymore."

Frowning, I scrunch my nose up.

"I thought you didn't like being called Ne— "

"And you didn't think that when I asked you to call me Yunjin the first time?" she cuts in, mouth curling into a scowl.

"Great, Chaewon, great." She drawls, clucking her tongue as she walks past me and outside the doors before I'm walking beside her to her car, struggling to keep up.

"Can you just please stop and listen?" I scream, because the wind is creating a lot of noise outside in the parking lot.

She opens the back seat of her car and throws her stuff inside, completely ignoring me as I fight back the painful stabs hitting my heart at her actions.

I stop by her door before it closes and lean in, locking my eyes with hers.

She snaps and her face hollows.

"Can you just please leave me alone?" she bites back, flicking my hand away as she closes the driver's door shut, revving up the engine as I knock on her window continuously.