|Chapter 7| Moonlight Rendezvous [1]

The life tree at the black rabbit tribe was oddly quiet. Granted, it was barely morning and no soul barring the hunters guarding the tribe was a wake. Despite this, Neveah was wide awake. She marched through the halls to the third floor where Zarek's room was. The moonlight filtered through the window, casting a pale glow across the room. Zarek lay sprawled across his bed, deep in sleep, his face peaceful for once.

Neveah didn't waste any time. She grabbed the edge of his blanket and yanked it off with a swift motion. "Zarek! Get up!" she ordered, her voice firm.

Zarek groaned, squinting against the sudden intrusion of light and the cold air. "What the—Neveah, what are you doing?" he mumbled, rubbing his eyes and trying to pull the blanket back over himself.

"Get up. The Great Kesmes needs these goods delivered to him in the woods. Now." Neveah said, unfazed by his irritation. She tossed a bundle of clothes onto his bed. "Get dressed. The carriage is waiting."

Zarek sat up, glaring at her. "It's the middle of the night! Can't this wait until morning?" he snapped, still groggy and not in the mood for an impromptu mission.

Neveah crossed her arms, her expression unyielding. "No, it can't wait. The Great Kesmes needs these supplies immediately. So, move it!"

Zarek groaned again, throwing the blanket off completely and grabbing the clothes Neveah had tossed at him. "Fine, but you're going to owe me for this," he grumbled, swinging his legs over the side of the bed and standing up.

Neveah rolled her eyes. "Just get going, Zarek. The sooner you leave, the sooner you can get back to sleep." She said in a suspiciously mocking tone before turning on her heel and walking out of the room, leaving him to get dressed.

Muttering under his breath, Zarek quickly changed into his clothes, grabbing his boots he stomped out of his room, heading towards the waiting carriage. Neveah was already there, overseeing the loading of the last few crates.

"About time," she said without looking at him, her focus on the task at hand.

"Yeah, yeah," Zarek grumbled, climbing onto the carriage. "Where am I going?"

Neveah handed him the reins, "dragon fly meadow."

Easy enough. He snapped the reins, and the carriage started moving.

᠃ ⚘᠂ ⚘ ˚ ⚘ ᠂ ⚘ ᠃

Three figures stood at the edge of Dragonfly Meadow, the soft hum of the large insects flying over at rapid speeds filling the air. The meadow was illuminated by the glow of luminous flowers and fireflies. The Great Kesmes stood calmly, his hands folded in front of him as he looked onward staring at the path coming from the black wind tribe. Rahn, on the other hand, was filled with an infectious excitement. His eyes sparkled with wonder as he took in the vast, open world beyond the confines of the cave. He tried to catch fireflies and tried to eat the luminous flowers, unfortunately they tasted bitter, so he could only spit them out.

Hadassah turned to speak to the Great Kesmes. "Are you sure this is a good idea?" she asked, her voice tinged with worry. "What if—"

Before she could finish her sentence, she heard a sudden whoosh. She spun around just in time to see Rahn holding onto the legs of an enormous dragonfly, its iridescent wings beating furiously as it tried to escape his grasp. The sheer force of the insect's flight was lifting Rahn off the ground, his feet barely touching the earth.

"Rahn!" Hadassah shouted, her heart leaping straight out of her chest as she dashed forward. She grabbed him around the waist just as he was about to be whisked away. With a grunt, she pulled him back down to solid ground, the dragonfly escaping into the sky with a buzz of indignation.