24: wavered

"Why won't you join us? What are you going to accomplish in a few hours?" Tarun asked his twin

"Why won't you join us? What are you going to accomplish in a few hours?" Tarun asked his twin. It was around nine in the night and they had planned to go out for dinner. But Tanvi said she had work.

"A lot, Tarun. Unlike you, I'm very productive when I want to be. So just stop making a scene and go," she said. Krish, Vijay and Nila watched them bicker back and forth, making them feel like they shouldn't be witnessing this conversation. "I'll make myself a bowl of maggi, finish my work and go to sleep."

"We have guests over. You can't act as you wish."

"I—"

"If I may," Krish interrupted, "it's not a problem, Tarun. And you have no obligation to entertain us, Tanvi. We are glad we have a place to stay."

"No, Krish. She's---"

"Thank you, Krish, for understanding me even when my own brother refuses to. It really means a lot. I'll join you all tomorrow."

Tarun opened his mouth again but before he could say something Vijay yanked him out of the house. When they took the elevator downstairs, Krish was talking Tarun out of being mad at his sister. Vijay whispered in Nila's ear, "Tanvi...she's going through a breakup. They were together for four years."

Nila's mouth curved into an O. Tanvi was the last person she would've guessed to be going through a breakup. She had been so chirpy and energetic since she'd walked into the house.

"It's an act. She usually isn't like that. She's the mature one and he's the playful one," Vijay explained. Nila had to applaud Tanvi for putting up that act because no one could guess she was hurting inside. It was as if she had practiced it. Nila didn't know how people did that.

"Can I do anything to help?"

He shook his head and intertwined their fingers. "She's not exactly a venter. She's big on keeping things bottled in until it bursts. Only Tarun can get through to her and if he hasn't been able to yet, we don't stand a chance."

Nila sighed and leaned against him, pressing her cheek against his arm. "I wish I could do something for her."

Vijay squeezed her fingers. "She'll be alright. She's a strong one. Don't worry, silver."

When the elevator landed, they stepped out and walked towards the bike parking. Krish's familiar bike was parked near the entrance and she could easily spot it because of the aqua blue design on the handles. Tarun walked towards a grey scooter.

"Where's your bike, man?" Krish asked.

"Service. My friend borrowed it that day and got into a minor accident," Tarun said, reversing the scooter which must be his sister's. Nila stood there, wondering where she was supposed to sit. She had assumed Vijay would be driving and she'd sit in the back.

"Uh... where---" she began but before she could finish her sentence, Krish bellowed out from where he stood.

"Hop on, Nila."