Chapter 8

Early 99 AC, Kings Landing

Princess Aemma POV

Song and chatter had filled the air in the ballroom of Maegor's Holdfast for hours at an end as the last of the tourneys came to an end in the morn.

Nobles and knights from all over the realm had been all in attendance at this commemorative return feast in Viserys' name. At least in principle, she thought to herself musingly. There was little doubt most had come, if not to participate in the Kings Landing Tourney for fame and glory, then it was to ingratiate themselves with the King and her goodfather Prince Baelon…though it seemed like the Prince might have had the busier day than the King who had not long ago retired to his bedchambers.

Her grandsire, King Jaehaerys was looking older and older as the days passed and from what she had heard, Prince Baelon was more and more taking decisions that the King otherwise would have taken. That meant that Viserys would be expected to also increase his duties and she expected that soon after the feast ended, they'd be sent to Dragonstone to administer the island in her goodfather's name.

She took a moment to look around. There were fewer people now as most knights and lower nobles were made to leave but there were still plenty of people. It wasn't just Westerosi that were in attendance either. There were a few Pentoshi, Braavosi merchants – merchants that were likely very connected to the ruling powers of their respective cities – along with a few other Essosi notables in attendance.

With the Triarchy growing in strength in the years since they'd driven out Volantis from the Disputed lands, the balance of power in Essos had markedly changed. Viserys told her that the King wasn't interested at all in involving themselves in the matter regardless of the rewards the Essosi offered in return for their support.

He did comment that the King was at least pleased at seeing Volantis humbled. It shouldn't have surprised her when Viserys told her that but it did yet when Viserys explained the tense relations House Targaryen had with Volantis, it made sense.

Other than a few courteous conversations of little importance, she had not spent any time conversing with any of the nobles or Essosi in particular.

No, she'd been with the ladies at court and her sister Amanda mostly who'd come down with her husband Lord Hardyng. She hadn't seen her since her wedding to Viserys so it had been pleasant to introduce her to Rhaenyra whom she hadn't met.

As it was now with the night nearing its end, she was seated by the Queen with Gael sat on the other side as she listened idly to the Queen talking to Lady Blackwood and Lady Tyrell whilst Viserys was by his father speaking to a few people including the young knight Otto Hightower who did well in the Joust despite his youth.

Rhaenyra began to make some noise and she bounced her slightly in her lap which did little to calm her down. One of the servants had informed her Rhaenyra had woken up a few hours ago and she decided to bring her to the feast. It drew the attentions of the Queen and Aemma rose from her seat "Grandmother, Rhaenyra's a little restless." Aemma said apologetically.

The Queen smiled kindly "She's likely tired enough and ready to rest again." she turned to Gael "Gael, why don't you go with Aemma?" Gael nodded dutifully and rose and locked steps with her not long after.

Aemma eyed her aunt carefully. She was demure, her shoulders slightly slumped and her expression, despite the politeness of it, was saddened, as if a light had gone.

Ever since she came back from her foolish and ill-thought voyage that worried the King and Queen endlessly, even herself and Viserys, she'd been quiet and subdued.

She'd left the Red Keep in the dead of night and pressed the guards and dragonkeepers into letting her in to take Liāzmariña and fly to Dragonstone where Aegon was. They disappeared for hours before they flew towards Kings Landing where Aegon explained that they were flying around in the narrow Sea.