Chapter 12

108 AC – Corinth, Summer Isles

Edywn POV

Edwyn stood at the periphery of the courtyard, some distance away from the other alchemists and further still than the guards who watched on concernedly, electing to simply and silently watch on this hallowed eve.

It had been some time since the Prince had made another attempt, at least as far as he knew, though this time the Prince seemed optimistic enough at his chances.

He spared a glance at the darkening evening sky that bore only the evening light of that ill-competed with the bright and flickering orange and red which illuminated the deathly silent courtyard, dancing as they were in spellbound rhythm forced onto the flames by the gusts of evening air.

He turned back towards the centre of the courtyard when the flames grew in size, briefly casting enough light that once could forget that it was sunset and not day, and watched on as the alchemist Fororlan walked over with a lit torch that burned a familiar deep shade of blue to Prince Aegon who'd stood by a large slab of rock set upon a well crafted dais.

Prince Aegon began to raise his wide arms moments after Fororlan came to stop beside him and the torches that hung at the edges of the courtyard dimmed in their light whilst the blue flames of the torch burned with greater intensity, so much so that it was getting difficult to gaze directly upon the blue flame that almost seemed as if it was burning brightly white.

Edwyn heard the noise the blue-white flame was making, a sound that sounded awfully like the sound of hung wet cloth shaking violently amidst violent winds though there was a whine to it, a whine like the whines of two links of thick steel that were on the verge of shattering apart as they were pulled apart with great force.

Prince Aegon twisted his arms and the flame flickered and twisted in response, spellbound to the Prince's will almost like how the reeds of marshlands were spellbound to the howls of nature, and Prince Aegon directed the flames towards the slab of stone, the sounds of flames and whining steel and shaking cloth combining into an awful cacophony that pained the ears and further still unsettled his soul.

Time seemed to stretch on endlessly much like how the flames that were constantly pulled from the torch seemed to last endlessly until finally, the light of the torches of the courtyard returned back to normal and the blue-white flames died out, leaving behind a brightly glowing slab of stone that had melted and pooled slightly at the edges giving it a misshapen form that looked to have fused with the dais.

Everyone seemed to hold in their breath as the glow of the stone faded away until all that remained was blackened stone. Finally, the silence was broken with the sounds of calm but loud clinking boots when one of the guards made his way towards Prince Aegon, war hammer in hand.

The Prince took the war hammer from the guard, his face still firmly fixed onto the slab of stone before he got into a stance a minute or two later and Edwyn frowned slightly as he concentrated his ears moments before the Prince swung with all of his might at the slab of stone.

What came next, shook him down to the core, just as sure as the vibrations that must be shaking the Prince. A great loud ringing emanated from the clash, a ringing that bore the same sounds as that of steel swords clashing at the right angles moments before one or both swords broke or shattered.

Excited murmurs escaped from the jaws of the alchemists as the ringing lost its strength though Edwyn kept his eyes on the Prince who'd set the war hammer aside before he stepped closer to the misshapen stone and seemed to be inspecting it, lowly speaking with Fororlan as he touched the place where the war hammer had struck.

Fororlan called one of the alchemist to bring a torch and Edwyn wasn't sure when he started walking towards the Prince but soon enough he was standing next to the Prince with his eyes fixed onto the stone with the light of the torch allowing them to see everything clearly.