|Chapter 2.3| The 8th Prince

Any movement she made would mean her head flying off her body, her heart nearly stopped out of sheer distress.

'Help!?' She screamed in her head.

[How?]

'Why the fuck is everyone trying to kill me!?'

She wanted to cry. How unhelpful was this system going to be!? The absolute worst-case scenario would be her virtual space, but if people knew she was not the real elf princess, she could kiss her mission goodbye as well as her life.

She tried to calm down, but the second she felt herself being moved, she knew she needed to do something.

[We have a problem]

'What now!?'

[There is a system user here.]

Should she be afraid or elated? Considering her last meeting with a system user, she did not know if she would be immediately attacked. But at this point, it was her best chance. She took a deep breath and screamed.

"I WAS MADE FOR LOVING YOU, BABY!"

The assassins paused in confusion. Was she singing right now?

"Hey! Shut up!" The one behind her threatened, pressing the knife further into her skin. He looked up at his team in annoyance, but he saw their bodies on the floor, blood spilling from a small hole in their heads. He suddenly felt fear, but before he could move, he felt a sudden pain. Something had pierced through his head. His body lost all strength, and he fell into the pond. Unfortunately, he dragged the princess down with him, much to her dismay.

Odeliah struggled to free herself, but the assassin's hands held on tightly. She flailed in the water, her lungs burning as she fought to break free. Just as she thought she might lose consciousness; she saw a figure dive into the water. A brunette, dressed in dark clothes, cut through the water with powerful strokes.

He reached her quickly, prying the assassin's grip from her with ease. The assassin's lifeless body drifted away as the man pulled Odeliah to the surface. She gasped for air; her vision blurred by the sudden exposure to the light.

"Are you alright, Your Highness?" he asked.

Odeliah looked at the man who saved her; brown, tousled hair framed a face marked by mild, handsome features. He was dressed in a dark military uniform that did not belong to Leone. A belt cinched his waist, and a sword hung at his side, the hilt gleaming in the soft light. Was he a soldier or a Nobel?

He helped her out of the water, guiding her to the edge of the pond. She collapsed onto the corridor, her body trembling from the adrenaline and cold. The man stood over her, covering her with a large cloak he must have dropped before jumping in to save her.

"Who are you?" she asked, her voice barely above a whisper.

He extended his hand to help her stand. "Aeron, your highness."

They stared at each other for a moment, uncertainty lingering in the air. "So..." Aeron began, "I guess you were the one singing?"

Odeliah coughed violently, her face heating up immediately. She had just blurted out the first modern song she could think of, and in hindsight, it was incredibly embarrassing.

She coughed again, trying to regain her composure. "Ah, yes... Then you must also be like me."

Aeron nodded, a small smile tugging at the corner of his lips. "What system do you have?"

"The Queen Maker," she lied smoothly.

"The Returner," he replied.

She cocked her head in confusion. "The Returner?"