|Chapter 3| The Opening Ceremony

Odeliah gasped as she stood up quickly, heaving. Her back was covered in cold sweat, and she quickly checked her neck as if to make sure it was still on her head. Her bedroom today was empty; compared to the first morning, it felt too big for her alone.

There was a knock on the door, and an attendant walked in. Odeliah recognized her; she was also the first attendant to walk in yesterday. She brought in some breakfast for her, and a few girls walked into the bathing room to prepare her a bath. She ate in silence. She never realized how easy it was to die. Her hand trembled at the thought, her hand-to-hand combat skills she had trained felt mute in comparison.

"What is my schedule for the day?" Odeliah asked. The head attendant who stood waiting for further instructions answered quickly.

"Your Highness, you have the opening ceremony at the Colosseum this morning with the Queen, and then you can choose to watch your Koa fight the preliminary rounds or you can choose to return here."

"Will my sister spend the day at the Colosseum?"

"Yes, Your Highness, it is customary for the heir to oversee each round."

If her crowned sister was staying and she returned to rest, wouldn't that just make her look bad?

The attendant looked around, and then she brought out a letter. "This letter arrived for you, Your Highness."

Odeliah took the letter and opened it quietly. Reading through it was enough to disturb her. The attendant merely watched her expression turn ugly and couldn't help but ask. "What is your reply?"

"Everyone! Leave!" She called out immediately, shocking the attendants a bit.

"But Your Highness..."

"I can bathe myself, leave, and no one is allowed to come into this room before I am done!" She said harshly. The attendants looked at each other, but they were not surprised. She was unable to keep her own staff and still treated her brother's staff so harshly. They all left, and the head attendant closed the door behind her. She thought a bit about the letter, and a small smile formed on her face.

"Senior, what should we do?" One of the younger attendants asked.

"Leave, go about your work."

"But senior—" another attendant piped up. She wore an extra gold pin in her hair.

The senior attendant did not budge. "Do not worry, just focus on your other tasks." The attendants nodded before leaving.

Odeliah rushed out of her bed, she rushed to the bathing room, and drenched the letter in the water until it was so soft it disintegrated. She was anxious. She immediately started to thoroughly search her room, even if she was late, she did not care!

After a while, the senior attendant knocked on the door again. "Your Highness, please, we need to leave shortly, or you will be late!"

There was silence, the senior attendant raised her hand to knock again but suddenly the door pried open. Odeliah emerged from her room in formal ceremonial attire, a stark contrast to her usual preference for free-flowing dresses. The rich, deep blues and golds of her gown shimmered in the morning light; the delicate embroidery of the Leone house's emblem made her look like a true candidate for the throne. Her short hair which was usually a thing of shame looked oddly fitting this time, a tiara of gold branches with pearl fruits sat on her head. Despite her earlier flustered outburst, her face remained calm and composed, her thoughts unreadable.

"Lock my room tightly so no one can enter or leave," she instructed the senior attendant, her voice authoritative.

The senior attendant couldn't stop her widening smile and accepted the order with a respectful bow. Her anxious heart calmed down after seeing the princess. She then led Odeliah down the corridors of the palace, their footsteps echoing against the marble floors.