ii.six

╔⏤⏤⏤⏤╝♀╚⏤⏤⏤⏤╗
[ vi . continued ]

╚⏤⏤⏤⏤╗♀╔⏤⏤⏤⏤╝

╚⏤⏤⏤⏤╗╔⏤⏤⏤⏤╝

NIGHT FELL hard in the Maze. Rachel had doomed herself to the Crawlers, and the bitter chill of fear told Rogue they wouldn't see the morning light. She cursed at Rachel under her breath. 

The Blondie's face flushed with heat. 'I couldn't just stand there and leave you guys to die!' she said, her voice tight.
'And how exactly do you plan on saving us, plucky?' Rogue retorted. Rachel didn't respond. 'Exactly. You're as good as dead, just like us.'

Rogue sank to the ground, her entire body aching with exhaustion. Each limb screamed at her to rest. It'll be over soon, she thought. Now that her death was fated, she could finally rest. 

'Don't say that,' Rachel started, her voice trembling. 'I was just trying to help.'
Rogue forced a bitter laugh, crawling on her hands and knees toward Sonya. She looked on the edge of death, her breaths quick and shallow. In that moment, her guilt dominated her fatigue.

Rachel walked up behind her. 'What happened to her?' she asked.
'I don't feel like explaining,' Rogue said as she checked Sonya's pulse, bending over to listen to her chest. buh-bump, buh-bump, buh-bump. She was still alive. 'Let's just say the Crawlers have a sick sense of humour,' she finished with a sigh.

'She was stung?' Rachel asked in horror. 'Is she going to be okay?'
'Please, Blondie!' Rogue snapped. 'Can you just... stuff it!'

Rachel stepped back. Two steps, then three. Rogue didn't feel an ounce of remorse. She had just killed herself, killed Sonya. She had lost her friends, lost the only people she had ever known. She had lost Ada. Rachel had lost closer friends the last time she was deloused.

'No,' Rogue eventually answered. 'She's not going to be okay. She could be dead in an hour... I don't really know how long it takes if you don't get the serum. But, we'll be dead too, so I guess it doesn't matter. Maybe Son got the easy way out,' she said matter-of-factly, though her eyes stung.

'We're really going to die?' Rachel asked, her voice a whisper. 'Like... we have no chance? None at all?'
'None.'

Rachel huffed, an anxious sound. 'No - this can't be it. There has to be something we can do. How many Crawlers will there be?'
'I don't know,' Rogue replied coldly.

Rachel peered down the corridor that led deeper into the Maze. 'But... what about Serena? She was stung and she survived.'
Rogue scowled up at Rachel. 'Are you thick or do you just never listen?' she spat. 'Serena made it back before sunset. She made it back and got the serum.' Rogue had to prevent herself from brining up more fatal cases like Jane and Ximena. It would only mean more questions.