ii.twelve

╔⏤⏤⏤⏤╝♀╚⏤⏤⏤⏤╗
[ xii . continued ]

╚⏤⏤⏤⏤╗♀╔⏤⏤⏤⏤╝

╚⏤⏤⏤⏤╗╔⏤⏤⏤⏤╝

LIGHTS BLAZED throughout the Lodge as the Glenners dashed around in a frenzy, everything shouting over one another. A couple of girls sat, sobbing in each corner of the room.

Rogue blocked it all out, forcing her way through the throng in the foyer and bursting out of the Lodge, sprinting towards the West Gate. She skidded to a halt just before the threshold. Harriet's voice called out behind her, delaying her decision.

'Rachel followed it!' Rogue shouted as Harriet caught up, a small towel pressed against her head wound, already stained with blood.
'I saw,' Harriet replied, grimacing as she pulled the towel away to inspect it before pressing it back. 'I can't hear out of this damn ear. Think Beth knocked me deaf,' she added with a strained smile.

Rogue's mind was fixated on Rachel. 'I'm going after her.'
'No, Rogue,' Harriet said, stretching out her arm to stop her. 'We need you here.'
Rogue glared at Harriet. 'She doesn't where she's going Harriet. She needs help in there.'

'We have bigger problems right now, Ro.'
'Really? Like what?'
'Somebody—'
'There she is!' Rogue exclaimed. Rachel had just turned the last corner, heading straight for them. Rogue cupped her hands around her mouth. 'What were you doing, dunce?' she shouted.

Rachel waited until she made it back through the Gate, then bent over, hands on her knees, gasping for breath before answering. 'I just... wanted to... make sure...'
'Make sure of what?' Harriet asked. 'Make sure Beth was a goner?'

Rogue jabbed Harriet hard in the ribs. Harriet jumped back. 'Ouch!'
'I know you weren't fond of her, Harriet, but she was my friend.'
'Oh, come on. It was a joke.'
'Right. Because we're in such a funny ha-ha situation right now.'

'Guys!' Rachel yelled. 'Stop it!' They fell silent. 'I just wanted to make sure they went towards the Drop. Towards the Crawler Hole.'
'And?' Rogue asked.
'They did,' Rachel confirmed, wiping sweat from her forehead.

Rogue nodded, turning back to Harriet. 'What were you about to tell me, just then?' she asked. 'You said we have bigger—'
'Yeah.' Harriet pointed over her shoulder. 'You can still she the finchin' smoke.'

Rogue looked in the direction Harriet had pointed. The Decision Tree was engulfed in flames. 'Beth must've done it before she...' Harriet trailed off

As the fire bit at the sturdy trunk and spread to the branches, it eroded their order. They had carved their names into that three, climbed it, drank and talked and buried people under it. The burning of the Decision Tree felt like a crippling blow to mark the End.

'What about Ximena?' Rogue asked. The girl's body was only a few metres down from the Glen's surface. 
Harriet nodded. 'That was my first thought, too. Her cross'll be gone, but the dirt is too firm. She'll be okay.' That was enough to reassure Rogue. Her mind could finally race elsewhere. Ada.