|Chapter 8| Atlas!

The next morning, they set off again, moving across the river and following the coastline. This time Hadassah walked alongside the carriage, feeling cramped after sitting all day. Rahn followed her closely, matching her steps. With every movement, the beads wrapped around her right arm clinked softly, and she fiddled with the balls casually.

"You really don't have to glare at me every time we're within ten feet of each other," she said, getting fed up with the stank expression on Zarek's face. How long was he planning to act like a brat?

Zarek snorted. "I'm not glaring. This is just my face."

"Could've fooled me," she muttered, rolling her eyes.

Rahn looked up at the sky, pointing. "Is that... bird?" he asked.

"Good job, Rahn," Hadassah encouraged. "Now try this." She pointed to the large tree by the path.

"Tree," Rahn said quickly.

Zarek glanced back at Rahn. "Why are you teaching him to speak? It's not like he'll need it. He's just a Harbinger." Harbingers did not need to learn a language, and most only learned to speak to beast men out of boredom. Rahn had no one to teach him, and while he could understand humans, he struggled with speaking.

Sometimes Hadassah wondered if she would be as resilient as him, surviving years in the serenity pool without seeing anyone. She would have gone crazy, but if she needed to survive another week with Zarek, she would also go crazy.

"He's a fast learner," Hadassah shot back. "Besides, for once I want to have a civilised conversation with a normal person."

The day went quickly, and it was soon time to set up camp again. The Great Kesmes got ready to instruct Hadassah. She was excited, gripping onto the staff. "What are we working on today?" she asked, trying to keep her nerves in check.

"We're going to work on your ability to fly," the Great Kesmes said. "It's an essential skill, especially if you want to have more control over your soul essence."

The Great Kesmes himself could fly, and Hadassah had long envied their ability to do so.

"You aren't asking me 'how' today?" he asked, crossing his arms.

"Well, I understand the idea. If I can use soul essence, I should be able to fly," Hadassah replied like a good student. The Great Kesmes nodded, she caught on quick.

"Then how do you plan on flying?"

She thought for a moment, and then the pink orb on the staff began to glow faintly. First, her brown hair rose in the air, and then slowly, her feet lifted from the ground. "Like this?" she asked nervously.

He nodded and also levitated, matching her level. "Should we go for a ride then?" he asked, with a grin on his face. Hadassah wondered, for how many years had he maintained that same smile? That made him look so confident and invincible. Like he knew the outcome of the world already.

"Remember, it's all about focus and balance," he advised, his voice steady. "Don't let your fear control you."

She nodded, her heart pounding as she began to rise, the branches of the tall trees seemed to reach out, threatening to snag her. She wobbled slightly; her eyes wide with apprehension.

"Stay calm," the Great Kesmes said, moving closer. "I'll guide you through." He placed a hand gently on her back. "Don't look down," he instructed. "Keep your eyes ahead. The branches will move if you steer them with your essence."

She nodded, her hands holding on to the staff tightly. She felt safe; even if she fell, he would catch her.

She took a deep breath and focused on the task. With his guidance, she willed the branches to part, creating a narrow path through the canopy. The Great Kesmes stayed close, his body brushing against hers as they navigated the dense foliage.