42

"Your Majesty." Arthur and William said in unison, bowing deeply as they saw the king entering the court chamber with Simon at his side. The chamber, typically filled with the hustle and bustle of courtly activities, now stood eerily silent, its grand expanse occupied solely by the four men.

"My lords." Baldwin greeted them, his voice resonating through the chamber.

"As you requested, we have begun the investigation into the cause of the fire." Arthur reported. Baldwin paused and turned to face him, his eyes narrowing

"Did you find anything substantial?" He inquired, his tone laced with urgency and tension.

"We have found something." William responded. "We discovered a shattered oil lamp beneath Lady Isabel's window, which likely ignited the curtains. This evidence confirms that the fire was not accidental, as there are no oil lamps in close proximity to the chambers." William's tone was measured as he explained.

"The lamp was found in pieces, its remnants scattered across the floor beneath the window. The position of the shards suggests that it was not merely an accident but rather a deliberate act." Arthur said. The implication was clear that this was no mere mishap but a calculated act of arson.

"This is certainly something. Your Majesty, do you have any idea who might be behind this? Many people here hold Isabel in high regard." Simon spoke up, his voice carrying a note of concern.

"There's no need for speculation." William interjected firmly as Baldwin and the other man glanced at him, their expressions a mix of curiosity.

"What do you mean by that?" he asked, his eyes narrowing slightly.

"Well, a man confessed that he was responsible for it the previous evening." He explained, a surprised look on both mens' faces.

"Where is he?" the king asked, his fist clenched tightly. William and Arthur exchanged uneasy glances as they took a deep breath before responding.

"He is currently being held in the dungeon, Your Majesty. We have ensured that he is under close guard to prevent any further disturbances." Baldwin's jaw tightened, his eyes reflecting anger.

"Lead the way." the king ordered. William nodded and began to make his way out of the chamber, followed closely by Simon and Baldwin.

The corridors were quiet, the usual clamor of the court subdued in the early morning hours. The soft echo of their footsteps against the stone walls was the only sound breaking the silence.

As they approached the dungeons, the air grew cooler and the atmosphere more tense. The dim torchlight cast flickering shadows on the walls. The clinking of chains and the muffled sounds of prisoners in their cells created an uneasy backdrop to their descent.

When they reached the heavy, iron-bound doors of the dungeon, William gestured for the guards stationed there to open them. The creaking of the doors echoed through the stone chamber as they swung wide, revealing the grim, candle-lit interior.

The man inside, shackled and disheveled, was sitting slumped against the wall, his head bowed in defeat. The sight of the king approaching caused him to lift his head, his eyes meeting his with defiance.

"Leave us alone." the king said, his eyes fixed intently on the dirty man seated before him.

The two men behind him hesitated for a moment, exchanging glances before reluctantly stepping back and leaving the cells. The heavy iron door creaked as it closed behind them, sealing Baldwin and the stranger in the dungeon.

The air in the cell was thick with tension and the musty scent of damp stone. The only source of light was a flickering torch mounted on the wall. The silence that followed their departure was oppressive, broken only by the faint drip of water from a leaky ceiling.