Chapter 1

"Kael! Kael!" Princess Elara called out, running towards him with eyes shining with excitement and happiness, her wide, bright smile lighting up her face.

Kael, on the other hand, was worried for the Princess. "Princess, be careful!"

Princess Elara grabbed Kael's hands. "You are coming, right?!"

"I..." He avoided her eyes, unable to bear refusing the Princess's invitation, especially since it was her birthday and he had been invited to attend.

Princess Elara had planned a delightful dance for the audience, but she also wanted to convey her feelings to Kael through her performance. She hoped he would attend.

"I-I... uh... I will surely come, Your Highness," Kael said with a reassuring smile to the Princess, who was now pouting, then he lightly punched her arm.

"Ow! What's the matter? Did I make a mistake, Princess?" Kael asked, worried as he looked at Princess Elara's face.

"I told you to call me by my name," she said, frowning.

"Your Highness, you know I c-can't do that..." he said, which saddened her even more. Yet, he also couldn't resist the Princess.

"Uh... Pri-uhm... Elara," Kael said, looking away as his ears started turning red.

"What...? Did you just...? Oh my gosh!!" Princess Elara exclaimed, jumping up and down, causing him to shiver in embarrassment.

Not long after, David showed up out of the blue, startling them.

"Your Highness," David said, placing his hand over his chest and bowing deeply to show his respect for the Princess, while giving Kael a darted glance.

"David! Why are you here?"

"His Majesty has called for you."

"Oh right! Let's go!" Princess Elara said, as if she had just remembered something important. She then smiled brightly at Kael. "See you, Kael!"

As soon as the Princess turned her back, David seized the opportunity to glare at Kael and issue a warning.

"As much as possible, stay away from the Princess," David said, pausing for a long moment before turning his back. "I know you have feelings for her, but you will only bring harm to the Princess. You understand what I mean," he continued, then walked away.

Kael looked hopeless after hearing those words. He was an assassin and a mere commoner, unworthy of matching Princess Elara's rank. Compared to David, the son of Duke Lacroix, a General, and favored by the King, David could easily be chosen to marry the Princess.

He let out a heavy sighed.

~ . ~

Time flew by quickly, and Princess Elara's birthday celebration finally began. Kael was trying his best to stay out of sight, but his efforts were futile. Within seconds, the Princess spotted him and waved, her excitement unmistakable. On the other hand, he also received a piercing look from David, reminding him of the difficult situation he was in. Poor Kael.

As Princess Elara prepared to present her dance, Kael met the gaze of the King, making him wary and causing him to put his guard up. He intently observed the place and the people, scanning for any potential threats. His attention was only diverted when the music began to play and the Princess started dancing.

He was stunned by how majestic and beautiful Princess Elara looked while dancing, her warm and bright smile captivating him. Everything seemed to move in slow motion as his vision focused solely on her. He didn't miss a single detail-her flawless movements, her grace, and her radiant beauty. She was mesmerizing.