Chapter 4

Princess Elara yawned as she sat up in bed, but froze when her eyes met Kael's. His gaze was wide with shock, and he stopped midway through drying his hair. His clothes were slightly disheveled, revealing his toned chest and well-defined abs, the light casting faint shadows that emphasized the firmness of his muscles.

"Y-You're awake..." Kael said, clearing his throat to steady himself after stuttering. He awkwardly adjusted his clothes, trying to compose himself.

"Y-Yes..." Princess Elara replied. She bit her lip and quickly looked away, realizing how disheveled she appeared. Her clothes were a mess, and as she touched her hair, she found it equally unruly. Embarrassment washed over her, and Kael immediately noticed her discomfort.

"You can take a bath, Your Highness," he suggested, trying to maintain his composure. He walked toward his belongings, pretending to search for something, his attempt to act cool barely masking his own awkwardness.

He then stole a quick glance at Princess Elara before clearing his throat again. "Uh, Princess, I'll step out to check on something," he added, eager to give her some privacy.

"Wait! I'm coming with you!" Princess Elara responded hastily. Without wasting a moment, she dashed into the bathroom to take a quick bath, moving like a flash.

~

Time flew by quickly, and before long, they stepped out of the inn, dressed as a Duke and Duchess. They did their best to mimic the behavior of a married couple, using the disguise to blend in. Kael and Princess Elara glanced around discreetly, trying to appear natural while remaining vigilant, their eyes keenly observing every tiny detail of the surroundings.

However, Princess Elara spotted a guard at the corner of the street. The dim lighting barely revealed the cruelty of his actions toward a poor child. The girl, covered in dirt and trembling in fear, clung desperately to a piece of bread as the guard yelled at her, treating her as if she were nothing more than trash. To him, life held no value-just a worthless thing to be discarded whenever time saw fit.

A wave of anger surged through Princess Elara, her blood boiling at the sight. Without hesitation, she marched toward the scene, determined to help the child. She left Kael, whose attention had been drawn to a man strutting down the street, exuding arrogance, while others bowed to him with exaggerated respect as he passed.

"Hey!" Princess Elara shouted as she furiously shoved the guard. She quickly helped the girl to her feet, dusting off her clothes before hiding her behind her back. With fierce determination, she turned to face the guard.

"What do you think you're doing?!" the guard yelled, gritting his teeth in irritation, his ego was clearly affected.

"You! What do you think you're doing? She's just a child!" Elara shot back, her voice ringing with anger.

"You've got some nerve...!" The guard began to move as if to strike, but Princess Elara swiftly raised her hand, pointing at him and stopping him in his tracks.

"Don't. You. Dare," she commanded, her voice was firm and filled with authority and fury. Her gemstone-green eyes began to glow with a brilliant emerald intensity, reflecting the power and rage within her.

"Y-Your eyes... t-those..." the guard stammered, his voice trembling with fear. He stared in shock as Princess Elara's eyes glowed with a vivid emerald light. His confidence shattered, leaving him rooted to the spot, paralyzed with fear. The intensity in her gaze held him captive, making him too afraid to even move a muscle.

Princess Elara seized the opportunity to leave with the child. Once they reached a secluded area, she knelt down to matched the child's height level, smiling as she gently wiped the dirt from the girl's cheeks and glanced at the bread she was holding.