Chapter 36

I was putting the finishing touches on my makeup when I heard a knock at the door. My heart did a little somersault - even after our intense conversation at the office, the thought of seeing Max still sent butterflies fluttering through my stomach.

I opened the door to find him standing there, looking devastatingly handsome in a tailored suit, a bouquet of lilies in his hand. His emerald eyes lit up as they roamed over me, taking in the white dress I'd chosen for the evening.

"You look absolutely stunning, Charlotte," he said, his voice low and warm.

I felt a blush creeping up my cheeks. "You clean up pretty well yourself, Pemberton. Are those for me?" I nodded at the flowers.

He handed them over with a smile. "I remember you mentioning they were your favorite."

"Careful there, boss man. Keep being this sweet and I might start to think you actually like me," I teased, breathing in the heavenly scent of the lilies.

Max's laugh was rich and deep. "I think we've established that I more than 'like' you, Miss Bennett."

As we made our way to the restaurant, I couldn't help but marvel at how different things felt now. The tension between us was still there, but it had transformed into something electric and exciting rather than frustrating.

Over dinner, we fell into our usual banter, but now there was an added layer of intimacy to our exchanges. Max's hand would occasionally brush against mine, sending shivers down my spine. His eyes held a heat that made me feel like I was melting under his gaze.

"So," I said, taking a sip of wine, "how exactly are we going to handle this at the office? Should I start calling you 'Maxi Poo' in front of the board?"

Max nearly choked on his drink. "I think we can maintain some level of professionalism, Charlotte," he said, trying to look stern but failing miserably.

"Aw, you're no fun," I pouted playfully. "And here I was, looking forward to scandalizing Jean-Pierre."

At the mention of the roguish French, I saw a flicker of something - jealousy? - cross Max's face. "Speaking of Jean-Pierre," he said, his tone carefully neutral, "I hope you understand that our relationship changes things."

I raised an eyebrow. "Oh? And what exactly does it change, Mr. Pemberton?"

Max's gaze intensified, sending a jolt of heat through me. "It means that you're mine now, Charlotte. And I don't share what's mine."

The sincerity in his voice made my heart skip a beat. "Is that so?" I challenged, leaning in closer. "And what if I'm not ready for that?"

Max's hand found mine across the table, his touch gentle but firm. "Then we'll take it as slow as you need. But I want you to know that for me, this isn't just a fling. You're it for me, Charlotte."

The possessiveness in his voice should have annoyed me, but instead, it sent a thrill of excitement coursing through my body. "And what if I decide I want to keep my options open?"

In a flash, Max's hand was at the nape of my neck, pulling me even closer. "Then I'll just have to convince you otherwise," he growled, before capturing my lips in a searing kiss.

The world around us faded away as we lost ourselves in the kiss. It was only when we heard the pointed cough of our waiter that we reluctantly pulled apart.

As we finished our meal, the tension between us continued to build. Every look, every touch felt charged with promise. By the time we left the restaurant, I was practically vibrating with anticipation.

In the car, Max's hand found mine again. "I'd like to show you something at my penthouse, if you're comfortable with that," he said, his voice husky with a mix of desire and nervousness I'd never heard from him before.