Chapter nineteen

"What?!" I hear myself yell at the sudden news.

When Joseph says that sentence, I could feel Iverene's presence become even more evident than it already was. I didn't know if it was out of shock or disbelief.

"Ivor found his mate." Joseph repeats his sentence, quieter this time.

"When?" I ask.

"Yesterday morning. She's the Luna of the pack." He updates me, looking even more worried and nervous now. I was worried due to his behaviour. "Ivor and she sealed the bond." He finishes, and my eyebrows furrow as I let out a mocking sound from my throat.

"That fast?" I couldn't believe it when he gives me a small nod.

I take a minute to comprehend what he was saying as I see his eyes fall from my face to my left neck, where Ares's mark laid. I stare at him intensely when I see him do that, wanting to see his reaction.

His eyes widen slightly before he turns to look up at me again, his eyes holding something behind them that I couldn't decipher. Iverene didn't like the look he gave us as I feel her cower away inside of me.

I look away into the woods, playing with my fingers nervously. I knew that Joseph could smell that Ares and I didn't mate, yet. For a reason I didn't know, I was suddenly insecure with the fact that Ivor was already mated to his mate after meeting her by one day while Ares and I were still in the process of doing so. It didn't feel like a competition, at least not until the moment I heard that he found his mate. Now that he found his other half, it changes the pace of the race, but before it could even begin, he's jumped to the end line immediately.

I shake my head as if I could dismiss the negative thoughts I was thinking of, and it didn't work, but it was okay because after thinking about it for a while, I came to a realisation.

I turn to look back to Joseph, my face shocked at what was going to come out of my mouth next. "Is his mate the Rogue?" I ask, feeling disgust bubble through my stomach at the name and mere thought.

He purses his lips apologetically, giving me a slight nod.

"His mate is the Rogue!" I yell again, angry. I didn't need him to confirm it again, I was only shocked at the fact.

I hear Iverene snicker in the very back of my mind.

His mate is a Rogue while ours was an Alpha.

"What's wrong with it?" Ares asks, joining the conversation that he was, without a doubt, overhearing from behind us. He walked so he could stand next to me.

Joseph immediately drops his eyes to the floor at the sight of an Alpha.

"Alpha." Joseph acknowledges before Ares does something that catches me off guard, almost making me forget about the situation.

He outstretches his hand out for Joseph to shake, which causes Joseph to become taken aback. I examine his reaction as he looked shocked. Something is weird about the way he reacts before he could finally look up at Ares, accepting his gesture. Ares was definitely trying to calm his wolf down by weakening Ayre's aura.

"I'm Joseph." He introduces himself to Ares as their handshake elongates.

"I know. Ivy told me about you." Ares says, almost as if trying to warn Joseph about something which Joseph responds to him with a nervous smile. When Ares breaks the handshake, standing tall next to me as he places his hand protectively around my waist, he asks a question that I would never expect him to ask.

"What's her name?"

I turn to look at him, shocked and reminded about her. "That's what you care about?"